PDA

View Full Version : Grade My PC Shopping List

fisher318
09-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. I am excited about all that I can learn here, especially the step by step instructions provided as I am wondering if the BIOS settings and configuration aspects are going to be more than I can handle.

I would appreciate any feedback on this shopping list that my brother-in-law gave me, and if this compilation of parts will be super enough to be upgradeable and as long lasting as possible. He recommended I get the parts from newegg.com, would everyone agree to that, or is there some place else I should be looking for hardware? My brother-in-law told me the build he is recommending is pricey, but high end. That I should run smooth for multiple graphics applications such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. etc. And that I will be able to grow it in any direction I want.

Case:
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Power Supply:
Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W ATX12V V2.2

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard:
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CPU Cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Hard Drive x 2: (He says I need to set up RAID which Instructions on this site sound like they cover)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

DVD-RW:
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - OEM

Video Card:
EVGA 017-P3-1175-AR GeForce GTX 275 1792MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported

Mouse/Keyboard:
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black 102 Normal Keys

Vista Business SP1 64-bit (With Free Microsoft 7 Upgrade)

The elements I wasn't told to get I know I need but could use some help finding the right pieces. I know I still need a wireless Internet card and an Ethernet Card for a LAN connection right? Any recommended brands?

Thanks in advance! :)

RickyTick
09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Very nice setup. Oh, and welcome to the forums.

This would be a better power supply and is a little less expensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

That Cosmo case is really nice, but it is kinda pricey. Consider the HAF922 or HAF932. Or the Antec 902. It's up to you of course, just offering some ideas.

Any reason for choosing Vista Business instead of Home Premium? Just curious.

fisher318
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for getting back to me RickyTick! I appreciate the feedback.

That power supply is much cheaper, you are right, and I'm sure the 750W should be strong enough as you obviously agree. I do always go and read the first few displayed reviews, and then all of the worst reviews to see if there are consistent problems with the stuff. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=17-139-006&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Page=1&Keywords= - It seems like a lot of people have had DOA issues with that power supply. Have you noticed any inconsistencies in the ones you've acquired?

Cosmos Case. . . yeah. . . :rolleyes: That was more me just wanting a super slick looking computer. I loved the reviews it got about spaciousness and cooling, cable management, etc. I decided heck, I'm spending X amount as it is on a computer, I might as well make sure it looks pretty so I feel better about the money I'm spending. Your recommendations, the full tower, looks great as well, and that Cosmos Case I substituted in brother-in-laws recommendations, as he suggested Antec 12 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=11-129-043&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=2

(This is my first computer build. . . my first born. . . my baby. . . jk)

Now, good question about the Vista Business. This was me just finding what OS I wanted for the computer. I read the comparisons, and wasn't a whole lot sure about which would be better. I liked the ability to access my new PC's files from my laptop. And it sounded like that was a built in feature to Vista Business. Yeah, I run a small business, so I was hoping that the right choice would be to get the business version of the OS, thoughts?

Thanks again!

RickyTick
09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I should have pointed out that the psu you had in your list is great and will work just fine. I was just pointing out that you could get one that is just as good and a little less expensive. The Corsair units are proven performers. I use the HX620 personally because it's modular.

And if you want the Cosmos case, then go for it. It is a beautiful case and is very high quality. You won't be disappointed. I was just offering up a few suggestions.

For me, the problem with Vista Business is that it doesn't offer Windows Media Center. Here's a comparison of the different versions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx
btw, if you want to share files between computers, you just need to set up File Sharing when you set up your home network. Windows makes that very easy too.

zburns
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Just wanted to jump in on one point. I purchased Vista Ultimate because it offered Remote Access to other computers with like software. I had business in mind. Office computer to my home computer and vice versa any day of the week, any time of day.

Is file sharing the same as Remote Access? I do not know anything about either one of them; have not tried to go that far yet.

fisher318
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh totally, I very much appreciate the input. Right now, if I include this monitor here: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7459 which was rated as one of the highest that would be good for web design by here because of their color gamut: http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/tp/19inchLCD.--BT.htm - I am pushing $2000 for the entire set up. If I wanted a better color gamut 22" - I would be paying $350 for monitor.

So anyway, yeah, saving a hundred without compromising performance is very much appreciated!

And I have to admit, my brother-in-law agrees with you that I shouldn't sacrifice the Windows Media Center. However, do you think I would be just as good getting business and then downloading Media Monkey? http://download.cnet.com/MediaMonkey-Standard/3000-2141_4-10109807.html

Oh, and I understand network file sharing, I may be confused, but I thought remote desktop connection gave me the ability to access my Super PC from my laptop while out of town or something. But I'm thinking that only works that way if I have windows server 2008 as well it sounds like. But I also like the potential fax send, receive, and scan feature it supports. So if I can get by with the media monkey, I'll do it, if not, I may just upgrade to the Vista Ultimate.

RickyTick
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
You're right. Remote access allows you to log into your pc from another pc. I guess if you want that ability and you also want Media Center, then Ultimate may be your best choice, plus it offers fax capabilities. I really don't have any experience with Media Monkey.

fisher318
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Cool, thanks. So it seems, for others reading this thread, that Windows 7 will have the media center included for the level of software I bought in Vista. So when i get my free upgrade to Windows 7, this issue should be resolved regardless.

Either way, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTnW3XgWwE - As it seems to show 2 other alternatives to windows media center that seems to be much more versatile while keeping that nice clean display.

zburns
09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Monitor comments: Name Dropping by monitor manufacturers. Over the last year when I infrequently look up some monitor specs, I have seen the use of "color gamut" used as "selling incentive" for monitors.

It is true that the color gamut spec is indispensible for people doing web page publishing design. Another as important requirement is that the viewing angles to see the specified color gamut have to be specified. Without knowing the color gamut and the viewing angles within which the color gamut specs apply, you do not know anything about the monitor in question.

I have not looked at monitor specs in a long time so I will say no more than my comments above until I do look further, other than give this one example. My monitor is a Samsung 24" 245 BW(?). The colors are great in the "0 degree" viewing angle which I have no trouble routinely using. However, when I look down or up at moderate to severe angles, the dependability of the contrast and color is not there -- completely useless for web design. Said another way, if one is being paid for web page design, you have to use a monitor which has stable and consistent colors at a wide range of horizontal and vertical angles in addition to the color gamut spec.

TFT Central is a UK organization that specializes in monitor reviews. There reviews are highly technical and lengthy. They routinely describe the calibration process for color monitors used for professional purposes, etc.. To me they seem to be the best for monitor reviews from a "rigorous" viewpoint.

fisher318
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow, that is great info! Thanks so much. I had no idea where to truly find a break down of monitor quality and specs. I'll be checking them out today I assure you. Thanks again!

I'll let you know what I find!

zburns
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I just came back to add one more comment to my first post about color gamut and viewing angles. My comments were meant to focus on monitor color quality as it relates to "professional" work that, for example, is published in magazines where high quality color pages are required, or, for that matter, any activity where high quality color is required, ie webpages for a business client.

If you are going to do photoshop and want what "you" describe as high quality work but it is for personal use, perhaps the "oridnary low cost monitors", ie, good color gamut but not so good viewing angles would work. In my case, I do appreciate good color photography; however, I would consider using my Samsung, for photoshop, perhaps, if I were doing personal work only. My personal requirement would perhaps be "good enough for me at home".

Magazine color photo work and professional webpage work for nationwide clients seems to me would require professional level monitors from which photoshop work could be specified to meet certain professional standards. One could be doing contract work out of his or her home and still be required to meet a consistent color standard,EDIT -- EDIT: which would require consideration of viewing angles and color gamut.