PDA

View Full Version : New First Boot Error

Flame3230
08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, I managed to get a new power supply for my custom PC, but there is a new problem. Whenever I turn on the computer, it is fine until I press F12 button to go to the boot menu, my PC just shuts down. Then, when I turn it on, it will cut off, but the longer I leave it off, the longer it stays on. But I cannot go to the BIOS menu, no matter how long I wait for it. I really need some help, and I know this time that it is not the power supply, because I just put in a new 730W supply.

zburns
08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Do not really understand what you are doing. Most of us on the forum that have built computers have followed Rob's instructions, at least used them as a guide when building our first computers. I recommend you do the same.

At any rate to get into the bios, when you turn the computer on, after the first beep,hold down the "ctrl" key, then start pressing the "Delete" buttom in a repetative fashion (several clicks a second) and you will get into the bios. Or when you turn the computer on, hold down "ctrl" key then start presssing the "delete" button (in a repetative fashion, several clicks a second) and keep at it thru the first beep and you will get there.

Flame3230
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I tried what you said, but nothing worked. I talked to two people I know earlier today and one said I may have overheated my processor (because at first, a power cord got caught in the CPU fan and it was an hour into XP's installation before it quit) but the other guy said my motherboard would have cut it off before it got too hot. So I am still at a loss, and I really want to get this fixed quickly.

zburns
08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Here is Wise Monkey's recc. on 7/17/09:

"Try going back to first boot status - motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM and the graphics card. Disconnect the hard drive and the CD drive and see if you can boot into the BIOS.

Also make sure that the motherboard is not touching the case anywhere, as this could be causing a short. "

You tried this later in the day and you posted back same day, that everything worked fine with only mobo, cpu, RAM and graphics card installed.

So why not try this once more and see if the computer stays on and does not shut off.

You need to go back to something that tells you it is not shutting off and then go from there.

If that works, try booting into the bios the way I told you too, which is Rob's instruction. Hopefully, this works and you will have a starting point.

Flame3230
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I tried that, but it gave me the same results. But one of the people I talked to today said that it sounded like I Red Ring of Death'ed my PC. If that's true, then I know how to fix that, but I would also like to know if that is what actually happened.