PDA

View Full Version : Dead machine gateway 500 HSN

Cirndle
06-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Last night, it smelled burnt, and was overheating with some smoke. Shut it down and the power strip. Took a look at it today and removed all the dust causing heat. Plugged all back in, and it won't boot up.

The power light turns green, and stay solid green, there are also some other green lights in the case on parts of the board by connections.

The CPU fan didnt start, and I think the cpu got fried.

Any suggestions?

Cirndle
06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Update, I removed the Hard drives, and tested both work.

How can I check if the CPU, or Powersupply are fried?

Also, what does it mean when the power button stays green when cord from wall in computer powersupply, and the led light on mobo by PS connection to mobo is lit?

ALso I tried removing the BIOS battery for like 30min and replaced just tried.

So how to check CPU, and PS to see if one or other or both gone?

Cirndle
06-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Does the wattage matter on the PS for testing purposes?

Or if the CPU fans or any fans arent starting should i assume CPU or PS?

Rob
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Doesn't sound good. I would try visually inspecting everything first. If it were me then I would try a first boot configuration. If it doesn't work then you may need to swap out components to try to isolate the problem. The power supply would be a good one to start with. Were any hardware changes made to the computer recently?

Cirndle
06-18-2007, 12:31 AM
I found out it isnt the hard drives.

I think due to all the dust it overheated and fried something. My guess is the Power supply.

Her old one was a cheap 160v one, what should i buy same voltage or more is okay?

Its between the Cpu and PS.

Rob
06-18-2007, 06:34 AM
I would get either an Antec or Enermax power supply. At the very least you should get a power supply of 300-watts, but it's not unusual to use power supplies up to 450-watts.

Cirndle
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Got wrong size seems to be ATX12v, but it looks like a mini atx like specs said, but I made it fit modding a bit.

Problem resolved.

Rob
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Sweet! Way to stick with it.