PDA

View Full Version : trouble with new computer

vockleya
08-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I just built my second computer. It's mostly working, but I am having a few problems.

The Specs:
AMD Phenom X4 940 Black Edition (OC'd to 3.5GHZ)
NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320 MB
Biostar TA90GXB A2+
4GB (2GBx2) 1066MHz RAM
1TB SATA3 HDD
500GB SATA3 HDD
800W Thermaltake PSU

Every so often core 1 of the CPU stops working and some parts of the computer freeze (especially video players). This only seems to happen when there is a video player running, so I'm wondering if it's related to the graphics card. The other 3 cores continue to work and most other applications continue operation.

The next problem is related to data transfer speed. When I am transfering large files from HDD to HDD, I get less that 10 MB/s transfer speed. The entire computer lags for the whole time the file is copying.

It seems that every time some program that uses a lot of data or requires a fast transfer rate is running, the computer is slow. This computer feels slower than my previous computer with a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and only 2GB Ram.

I had to use the overclocking functionallity in the bios to get the ram to run at spec speed (it was stuck at 800 mhz).

If I had to guess, the problems all relate to a problem with the HyperTransport bus. Is this something that could be fixed by replacing the CPU or motherboard? Or have I completely missed something. Please help.

By the way, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 GNU/Linux.

The Wise Monkey
08-13-2009, 05:20 AM
It sounds like this could be an issue with dodgy HD drivers - try running a live CD of another distro or a re-install and see if the problems still occur.

One of the cores failing on your CPU is also a fairly major fault, and could definitely lead to issues.

Try going back to stock speeds and voltages for your CPU and memory to see if this makes a difference. You may also want to run a stress test on your CPU to see if it is OK - CPU Burn-In is fairly good, and has a linux option:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/CPUburn/

vockleya
08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
So the hard drive seem to be working now, but the cpu is still being odd. Every time the computer freezes, i just kill the video player, and it comes right back. Is this something related to the graphics card? or might this be a software problem?

The Wise Monkey
08-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Did you run the CPU stress test?

vockleya
08-14-2009, 09:41 PM
yes, i ran the stress tests, and the computer froze right up.

RickyTick
08-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a problem with the cpu, or a heat issue.

The Wise Monkey
08-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Did you return everything back to default speeds in the BIOS?

vockleya
08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
yep, everything is running at stock speed, when I run the stress test, the cpu temp immediately go up above 200°F. The heatsink and fan are working properly and are seated correctly on the cpu. The thermal paste is the stuff that came on the heatsink from AMD. Is my cpu fried? Do I need to get a new one?

RickyTick
08-15-2009, 06:47 PM
The temp is definately a problem. You should remove the cpu, clean off the paste, and try to re-seat it again.

vockleya
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I have already tried that, and it didn't help. When the processor is idle, the temp stays around 90-100°F (less than 20° above ambient).

RickyTick
08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Doesn't sound good. I would try to re-install the cpu one more time just to make sure.