PDA

View Full Version : New PC in the works, parts listed, questions and suggestions welcome.

grmokbel
07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Welcome, grmokbel.
You last visited: 12-30-2007 at 01:32 PM

Wow, I can honestly say I'm ready for a new PC!

I purchased a Macbook Pro about 3 months ago, and I'm already trying to sell it. This thing ain't for me!

Anyways, I'm building a new gaming computer. Let me know what you think of my part selections!

CASE: NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

GFX CARD: BFG Tech BFGEGTX275896OCE GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Retail

All of the above totalling around $1,500 from Newegg.com

I'll be using old DVD drives for my computer.

Does it sound like a pretty well built GAMING rig? That's my goal, and the GTX 285 was to overpriced, i'd rather wait a few months and buy it for ~$250 instead of the $400 they're asking. Oh well, I settled for the 275.

The Wise Monkey
07-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Hehe, "settling" for the 275 probably isn't the right word - it is a fantastic card. :)

All of that looks great. Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the MBP?

grmokbel
07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Hehe, "settling" for the 275 probably isn't the right word - it is a fantastic card. :)

All of that looks great. Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the MBP?

When I fire it up next to my old gaming rig(built it thanks to this site, was my first one!) its outperformed in every way possible. I know its not fair to compare a $1500 macbook to a $1500 pc desktop, but that desktop was built over 2 years ago...

The macbook was cool for the first month, but when I saw that World Of Warcraft was a bit to heavy for the mac to run(have to lower all my gfx settings) i decided enough was enough. WoW has some of the lowest requirements for PC's & MAC's compared to any other MMORPG such as everquest.

The major lack of third party software and game availability for macs also is a huge kill for me.

I read some Pc report a few weeks ago that was written about 8 months ago, the # of mac downloads for third party software/games available on download.com was a weak ~4,000, where PC had over ~100,000 or so.

Not to mention if you want to run anything windows on your mac, be it a game, or a program such as a .mp3 file converter, you must be prepared to spend good money. About $200 is the bootcamp program? Not even all PC applications are guaranteed to have a smooth transition to mac.
You can download free ones like WINEhelper, but the success rate of those is even remarkably lower.

I heard the phrase, "once you go mac, there's no going back." Whoever came up with that is a fool in my book.

===

There are some pro's to mac's though, once your used to, all the cool things you can do with your touchbad and all the nifty shortcuts are sweet.

I could see the mac as being awesome for bringing to class and taking notes, but I don't live at class, I live at home.

The Wise Monkey
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
That's a fair point - gaming is the complete preserve of the Windows computer at the moment.

DrivetheGreen66
07-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Yea I have a MacBook Pro and I love it. But its not for gaming. You need a PC for that