PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive install

RickyTick
07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I finally completed the install of a second hard drive, and loaded Windows 7 on it.

I have to say that it was a pita because of the lack of clear instructions.
The physical installation of the HDD in my Antec 900 case was simple. I could have done it in less than 30 minutes if I could have remembered where my extra sata cables were hiding. :)
The problem was loading Win7 on the second drive. I didn't know I needed ISO burner, and it never was clear on the steps to take. Maybe I was wanting a too simplistic approach to the whole thing.

Maybe I can break this down and put it into a complete step by step guide for the next guy.

Anyway, I loaded Win7 on a Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb hard drive. It's unquestionably very fast, but I don't know if it's the better hard drive or the OS that makes it seem fast. :)

The Wise Monkey
07-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry my instructions weren't very clear... :p

I think that Windows 7 is actually a lot faster than Vista for general use - definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft.

RickyTick
07-18-2009, 04:52 PM
No, it wasn't your instructions I had trouble with. The instructions at Microsoft were not clear at all. And the instructions on how to use the iso image software was even worse. idk, maybe I'm just thick headed. :o

The Wise Monkey
07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
No, Microsoft do give really bad instructions sometimes.

I prefer using Imgburn - its a free and lightweight tool for burning ISO files, and is easy to use. :)