PDA

View Full Version : Boot help and video card help

smurph2009
07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
After i booted the first time and got the OS installed everything was fine then i installed the video card and restarted and now it fails to start windows and when i try to boot from the OS disc i cannot move my arrow keys to change the boot device. Please help.

smurph2009
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Something has messed up the windows i just installed and now i am trying to boot from the cd to get it fixed but it will not boot from the cd.

smurph2009
07-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I have fixed my previous problem by reinstalling windows. But now i want to install the video card but i dont want to happen what happen last time. So is there something specific that i need to do to install it besides putting the disc in.

RickyTick
07-17-2009, 10:20 PM
If you're referring to the disc that comes with the video card, I would recommend not using that. You should get the latest drivers from ATI.

smurph2009
07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
But would have using that disc messed my computer up?

RickyTick
07-18-2009, 12:04 AM
no

smurph2009
07-18-2009, 12:13 AM
so its possible that it will happen again wen i install my video card?

o yeah do i need to disable an internal video card if it has one built in? im not sure if mine does though anyways.

The Wise Monkey
07-18-2009, 03:26 AM
OK, first of all, there is no need to create a new thread every time you have a problem. I appreciate that you are worried about this, but you managed to solve your problems yourself so far, so you must be doing something right. :)

Your internal video will automatically be disabled once you connect a separate card, so you don't need to worry about that.

Like Ricky said, downloading the latest drivers from the ATI website is always the best idea as the drivers from the CD are usually several generations out of date and may contain other rubbish put on there by the manufacturer.

If you install the drivers and have problems, try booting into Safe Mode before trying to completely re-install Windows. To do this, press F8 after the BIOS splash screen and before the Windows logo appears. This should give you a list of options such as last known good configuration, safe mode with networking etc. If you choose Safe Mode from the list, you should be able to uninstall the drivers safely.

smurph2009
07-18-2009, 11:02 AM
well it tried to go into safemode last time but wen i said to enter it it just restarted and did it over again taking me to the screen where i choose to go in safemode or not and it would continue in that cycle until i did something like turn it off.

And im sorry for posting new threads like that i guess i just was worried and maybe freaked a lil and i apoligize.

The Wise Monkey
07-18-2009, 12:44 PM
It's OK. Its kind of strange that safe mode didn't work - I guess that something really went bad, for some reason.

Instead of having to completely re-install Windows and lose everything that you have installed up to then, you should be able to do a repair of the OS. This basically does a clean install but only of the core OS files, so you still keep all of your files and programs.

smurph2009
07-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I have got everything going good now. But i dont have sound and also my motherboard came with a cd do i need to install something on my computer that has to do with that.

The Wise Monkey
07-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Same issue with the motherboard drivers - download the latest version from the manufacturer's website. :)

smurph2009
07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
K, but since my motherboard is outdated is that gonna be a problem and also it tells me i need to get rid of a Microsoft update before i use their downloader because it has problems with it, so how do i go about doing that.

Also i was wonder if i would be able to play Crysis with the video cards because i dont know wat mine is comparted to the nVidia GeForce 6800