PDA

View Full Version : High End Build HD questions

Grave Scrooge
07-14-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm doing the High End build verbatim and I am installing the two HD's.

Two Problems:

1) There are many SATA and GSATA connectors on the MOBO. I want to set up RAID 1 ( Mirror ). Which connectors should I plug into?

2) I am confused how the cable plugs into the SATA connector on the MOBO. It looks like it goes in on the side of the connector? There is hardly any space to get my hands in to connect it. Everything's in the way!

Grave Scrooge
07-15-2009, 02:05 PM
After many attempted I got the cables into the connectors. I probably should have uninstalled the video card as this is stitting on/blocking some of the connectors.

I still need to know if it matters which connectors I put the HD cables into. Again of have numerous SATA and GSATA connectors. I just put my cables into the easiest to access. Will this affect anything or affect me eventually setting up RAID 1?

Grave Scrooge
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
In my MOBO manual it told me where to put which connectors where to acheive RAID 1.

Problem? ....When I boot up only the optical and one of the two HDs are recognized...any help?

The Wise Monkey
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmm...

Are all the cables and power connectors in securely? What happens if you unplug the one that is recognised?

Grave Scrooge
07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes, all properly connected. I did some further reading and set up RAID 1 (SAFE) according to my MOBO manual.

It show both HD's when I go to the screen where you set up RAID...but both don't show on Standard CMOS Features page. Just the optical and one of the main drives. IDE Channel 4 just lists "SAFE" and Channel 5 Master shows my optical drive. All the rest of the IDE channels are empty. Is all this correct?

I am figuring out many of the Mobo settings come preset in optimal configurations. I'm just concerned about missing something I should change. Are there any other suggestions on changing any settings?

It's hard to follow Rob's book because the MOBO and BIOS menu are different.

The Wise Monkey
07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the RAID array will only show up as a single drive in the BIOS, so that is as it should be. I thought you meant that you were only seeing one drive before setting up the array. :)

As for other settings, check the link I posted in your other thread.

Grave Scrooge
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I was only seeing one HD before setting up the array. On the IDE screen it only showed the one HD. After I set up the array it shows like I said. I'm hoping it's okay.

The Wise Monkey
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Well, if they both showed up in the RAID bios and you were able to set up the array, then it should be fine. You can now try and install the OS and see if it is all recognised.

Grave Scrooge
07-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Well, if they both showed up in the RAID bios and you were able to set up the array, then it should be fine. You can now try and install the OS and see if it is all recognised.

Once the OS is installed, is there a way I will know that both drives are recognized?

The Wise Monkey
07-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Well, the install will work for a start. XD

If both hard drives appear in the RAID BIOS and you have managed to create the array successfully, then you can be pretty sure that they are working correctly.