PDA

View Full Version : First High End build

grilly
07-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

I built my first build from this site and the book last November. I put together a decent build with a Q6600 w/ a GTS8800 and put it in a Sonata III. Had a blast, learned a bunch and felt a great feeling of accomplishment afterwards. Long story short, I've since gone through a separation with my wife and she got the computer and I'm wanting to do an ultimate build for my own rig.

Here's what I'm going with so far. This is mostly from the input here. Last time I bought a bunch of components before posting for input on here, and while the system worked great, it was a little outdated because I didn't bring it to you guys first:)

I know this looks like a gamer rig, but I'm not a big gamer. I may be if I had the right system and found a few games I could really get into, but I'm not sure I have the time for that. I do do a lot of video and photo editing. I want to burn Blu Rays. I also want to be able to do things faster. That's my main thing. I have two laptops now and they are driving me crazy dragging around everywhere and I miss my build that the ex confiscated. This is mostly about if I'm going to be able to build another one, I want to go all out.

Let me know what you think and if there are any better options/updates that you think I should go with. Thanks again!

Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNSB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Hanns·G HH-251HPB Black 24.6" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

grilly
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
One of my fellow builders suggested that I use a couple of Solid state drives for Vista and my programs. I was thinking of going with two of these and the HD above for data.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609392

I've never used Solid state drives before. Are they worth it? Will I really see that much of increase load times for the OS and applications? Are they any different to install? I've heard that you need to wipe them before the install? What exactly is that?