PDA

View Full Version : no video problem on first boot =(

wgm
07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I just put together a new computer and I'm not getting any video, it's built wiI just put together a new computer and I'm not getting any video,its built with: supermicro x8dal-i motherboard (server motherboard)
antec continuous 850 W psu
2 intel xeon processors (5500 seires) and and intel standard heatsink and fan for each, 12 gb of ram(mushkin ddr3 1066 and ecc),and a firegl 3600 video card(2 dvi outputs).

I double checked all the connections and jumper settings and thought that might be the case because the default has the pci-e drives connection to the system management bus off, but jumpering them didn't fix the problem, I also reset the CMOS, but that also didn't fix the problem, I'm wondering if something came doa =/

The power light on the motherboard as well as all the fans come on, but alas, no video, and unfortunately I cannot test with the onboard video because there isn't one

also, I removed all but one stick of ramand then attempted to boot up and still no video, and could not enter BIOS using any of the keys given in the manual. but the monitor continues to just flash it's power switch as if it doesn't see anything

The Wise Monkey
07-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Try booting with only one CPU - you might need to enable the second slot in the BIOS, although I think it is more likely that one of your components is doa, like you suspected.

Do you have a different GPU you can try in place of the firegl?

wgm
07-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't have any other video card to test it on, as well, the manual says its okay to install the two processors at the same time, unforunately I've also noticed a high-pitched whirring sound emitting from the heatsink/fan combo, and was wondering what could be a possible cause of this.

The Wise Monkey
07-12-2009, 05:27 PM
It could be a slightly bent fan blade, or not well lubricated bearing causing the whining noise, but it shouldn't affect the CPU temperature.

The reason I suggested booting using only one CPU is to rule out one extra component. :)

Are all the power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard on correctly? ie. the 24 pin one and the 4/8 pin ones for the CPUs?

wgm
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Ah, okay, that makes sense for the fan and cpu.

I believe all the power connectors are connected correctly, this motherboard is strange in that it takes two 8 pin eps 12 v in addition to the 24 pin one, but I have all three of those in , the 24 pin and then I have a 1 to 2 eps 12 v connector so I fill both 8 pin slots as instructed by the manual

The Wise Monkey
07-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, each CPU needs an individual power connector, so that is the reason for all the extra bits.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what else to suggest really. Do you have another DVI/VGA cable you can try to connect your graphics card to the monitor? Does your card require any additional power connectors direct from the PSU?

wgm
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately I don't have another cable but I'm sure it and the video card should work because while everything else I'm using I just purchased those are the two things I transferred from my previous desktop, I'm wondering if I made a flop somewhere along the way with building it overall. Would it help if I were to take pictures and put links here, I can't at the moment, but I could possibly later today.

I wouldn't by any means say that I'm really experienced at putting together computers, and haven't put one together recently 'til now, but these are some of the precautions I took, if there's something where I faulted, I'd be eternally grateful if you pointed it out.
I don't think static electricity was a problem, because I continuously was grounding myself and on top of that, I'm in florida and we currently have 90-100% humidity, so it's even less of an issue. As for the cpu's I'm pretty sure they're working because I double checked the alignment afterward and the thermal grease had set in (though I don't actually know if that spreads due to heat or due to me screwing on the heatsink so close to the processor, I've never had to remove a heatsink and look at the processor post-installation), Though these are the first non-pin ones I've ever installed (since they're xeons), and when placed the cpu locks close but not as close as they did when it was just the caps in the sockets. The heatsinks and fans are installed straight above them and fans are connected to the motherboard. I then connected the chassis controls such as power, reset, and the front usb and audio and a sata. The power supply seems to be working fine and it is currently powering the 6 case fans via molex, the two 8 pin eps 12 v slots and one 24 pin slot, and the hard drive and blu-ray player via sata, and the drive is powered and can open and close when I press eject. The RAM and Video card were then placed in, as aforementioned. And then I attempted to turn on the computer and that's when the issue began, with the screen not coming up at all, and I also hear no beeps.

The Wise Monkey
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, seems like the motherboard is the problem then. It sounds like you've successfully managed to rule everything else out. :)

I would recommend you RMA it and try and get a replacement.

wgm
07-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Problem solved, there were two unused standoffs that were grounding it in a corner, I'm just happy everything works now, thanks for all of your help =)

The Wise Monkey
07-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Ah, well, that could also be a problem. XD

Glad it now works - that sounds like a beast of a machine.