PDA

View Full Version : 2nd boot problems!

cr6564
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Last night i put together my new super pc (with antistatic wrist strap), and followed the manuals exactly. There was one minor hiccup, which was the fact that my gtx 260 did not fit in the pci slots in the case ( a strip of metal would be blocking the dvi ports). I was able to cut the metal, and the gtx 260 fit. I did the first post and everything was fine. After that i proceeded to hook up the usb, firewire, hard drive, and 1 dvd rom and 1 dvd+-RW drives. To connect the two, I took the e-ide cable, that was pluged into the motherboard, and pluged the two ends into the dvd drives.

Then I powered up again. Everything posted just fine.
Then I tried to install windows 7 and/or linux. Everytime it asked for boot media, one of these things would happen.

can not boot from cd code 5
can not boot from cd code 4
can not boot from cd code 2
memory overflow
_ (blinking dash)
the media is not bootable or the sort

Now every once and a while, something would work for a minute. windows 7 disk started to load the kernal, and linux started to load. Then about 10 seconds later the computer would restart

Now if you are wondering if the disks were burned wrong, I dont think so. They all show up in a different computer.
Also the disks were burned using imgburn at speed 1X. I used high quality disks for the burning. this should make a
very good bootable disk.

I am no stranger to burning iso files, so i dont think it has anything to do with the disks. Unless there is some stupid mistake i forgot to overlook.

-------------------------------------------------
Now for the really interesting part!

I was able use another hard drive that has windows 7 loaded on it. My super pc booted up to the hard drive and as expected it reset. the next time it reset, it went through the hole checking for repairs deal. After that I found a small button that allowed you to make advanced repairs. From there i was able to launch a command prompt and navigate to the windows 7 setup program. I ran it and got to the second step. There it asks me for a dvd driver. This makes me wonder? why is a dvd driver needed when i am running off a dvd? Well anyways, i tried as many drivers as i could and nothing worked.

All help is appreciated! (BTW, if you were following my other posts about windows 7 and it not booting, disregard that info. That was with my older computer. My new Super pc is uses new mother board, cpu, psu, graphics, ram, wiped hard drive, but the old dvd drives (e-ide connector).

Dr Cuervo
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Try connecting only one of the dvd drives and make sure that in your BIOS you have it set up so that booting from cd/dvd is the only option you select for all of the boot devices.

I'm sure that the mods here have a better idea of what is going on but I have had similar problems with dual optical drives before.