PDA

View Full Version : replace dell case/mobo all for new PSU?! HELP

almarek
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Earlier this year I purchased a Dell Studio with a slim case. It's a fairly powerful computer and was at steal of a price, but soon noted that it came with the shortfall of a 250 W Power supply!! I purchased a Gforce 9300 video card at the same time (top of the line then) and haven't been able to install it. I'm just looking for a way to get a more powerful power supply in that dang case to use my video card without sacrificing quality of the PSU. I'm alternately interested in gutting that worthless slim case and going for a more standard ATX case, but want to know that my motherboard will switch over. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

The Wise Monkey
07-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Dell tend to have some strange proprietary size for their motherboards, as well as a strange size for the space available for the PSU. It might be worth just getting a new case and a new PSU. My advice would be to get a tape measure out and see how big your motherboard is, then compare it to these measurements to find out what type it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer_form_factors

sprout69
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
How does one get an answer to an inquiry on here?

The Wise Monkey
11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
How does one get an answer to an inquiry on here?

No need for that... :/

If someone has not answered your question, then there are a few possibilities:

- They don't know the answer
- The topic is no longer "new" and so doesn't stand out on the listing
- They just haven't got around to it yet

Just be patient, and try bumping your topic if it hasn't had a response in a few days.

sprout69
12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh Wise One, just kidding. I wasn't being smart, I just don't see anywhere where I can go right to Rob or Wise Monkey to get an answer. My time is usually limited so I don't like to just hang out to see what the answer might be. Sorry.

The Wise Monkey
12-03-2009, 03:15 AM
No problem. :p

There is an "Ask Rob" section, and I try to check up a couple of times a day, but of course we can't always guarantee that you will get a response immediately.