PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card

cr6564
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I want to buy the gtx 260, but i am concerned about energy usage. I don't want by computer to be running at 400 watts all of the time when not playing games. ( this will make me feel better about using the computer).

I have read about external graphics cards and was wondering about them.

My question is:
Can the external graphics card be used as the primary? Can i then unplug the gtx (from a cold boot)

Or
Do i have to keep the gtx on all of the time, and just turn its settings way way down so it does not use much power?

zburns
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
The energy your graphics card uses should be mostly based on real time usage. If you are just on the internet for static to semi static images, you should not be using (apx) anymore energy than anyone else regardless of type of graphic card. This should be a graphic card design consideration just for the reason you are stating.

If the spec for the GTX 260 says 400 watts, I imagine it means 400 watts under peak use conditions, which would mean the most demanding video usage, ie. a powerful game from a fps and monitor size point of view. If the GTX 260 uses 400 watts max, this is an indicator for the size psu you will need to handle the video plus the rest of the computer.

RickyTick
06-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Also remember that the 200 series Nvidia cards "throttle" down when 3d power is not needed, and then rev back up when you start up a game or something. It works kinda like the Intel speed stepping on the processors.

DirtyRasa
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Pretty sure the 260 needs at least 550 watts, if I'm not mistaken.

Dr Cuervo
06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
This is from newegg under the specs tab.

Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)
Two available 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

The Wise Monkey
07-01-2009, 03:17 AM
Also remember that the 200 series Nvidia cards "throttle" down when 3d power is not needed, and then rev back up when you start up a game or something. It works kinda like the Intel speed stepping on the processors.

This is true - almost all raphics cards can do this.

If you download nTune - http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html - you can set up profiles for different applications. So if you wanted to play Crysis, say, you could set the default clock speeds much lower for when you are in Windows and only go to the higher clock speeds when Crysis.exe is launched.

cr6564
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
thanks guys

im still wondering about the external though

RickyTick
07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
External graphic cards are generally used with laptops, iirc.
You would be much better off with an internal dedicated graphics card, imo.