PDA

View Full Version : headset / phone setup

vaportrail
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Okay, here’s the problem…

I have headphones on much of the day, listening to music on my PC. I also have a separate set of headphones to take phone calls, as I need to type as I talk. When the phone rings it is a real pain to drop my headphones, then fumble around with the cord on the other headphones and slip the set on in time to take the call. I would prefer to have one set of headphones that would serve both roles.

What would you suggest would be the best setup to do this? Options I’ve considered so far:

1. Rerouting VoIP into my PC. The headset solution would be a no-brainer then. But how do I connect phone calls to my PC? Do some modems have this feature?
2. I can buy a little Bluetooth USB device that would transmit my music to a Bluetooth headset, then I can pair the headset with my Bluetooth cell phone. What I don’t like about this solution is that I’d always have to be sure to have enough cell phone minutes left, and I don’t like the idea of paying more money every month for more minutes. VoIP is much cheaper, so I’d rather use a Bluetooth telephone, but I haven’t found one. I’m also concerned about possibly losing my sound card capabilities since I’m not sure if the USB Bluetooth device would use the sound card or the on-board sound.
3. Some kind of headphone splitter, but I haven’t found one.

I also haven’t found a highly rated headset that is good for music that is also highly rated for mic quality.

What do you suggest? How have you solved this problem?