PDA

View Full Version : XP won't see hard drive

Rockspider
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I am not sure if this is a software or a hardware issue.

While waiting for the other components for my super PC to arrive, I decided to put the new 1TB WD black caviar hard drive in my old computer and start formatting it as well as installing Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 1 only on the disk).

The Bios saw the drive, which I put in SATA 0, but XP Pro didn't. It loaded it's drivers in to RAM and then went to the page where it says to pick a disk to format and/or install. But it showed no disks available for formatting. I touched a key and the thing went to a blue screen.

This is confusing because I have had a number of SATA drives in this computer (Pentium 4 with Gigabyte MB and 1GB of RAM) and it has seen every one of them. I'm wondering if the size has anything to do with it.

I probably missed something in the write up. But I can't find anything on it.

Any ideas?

RickyTick
06-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I think XP will only see about 128gb. I beleive SP1 or 2 was supposed to fix that. Its been a long time since I was on XP. Sorry, I'm not much help. You might try partition magic or something like that.

Rockspider
06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks for getting back.

I'm going to take a look at that. There are also some settings here: http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_second_boot.shtml.

core21
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't recommend installing XP on the drive in another PC. You should wait and install when the drive is in the system with the components you intend to use it with. The reason for this is that Windows is going to install drivers for the components it sees.