PDA

View Full Version : Newbie PC Build Advice <$1000

entelechy
06-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi all,

Looking for some pointers on a PC Build for my parents home/office PC. PC shall be primarily used for internet, mail, some basic microsoft office functions and increasing home multimedia (photos, iTunes, movies, maybe TV tuner in the future)...

I know only just enough enough about PCs to be dangerous.

I have a preference at present for Intel CPU and have never had a problem with Gigabyte motherboards so would like to stick with them. Here's where I'm at;

-E8400 (based purely on the most recent bang for buck article I could find by PC Authority).
-Gigabyte MB (Recommendations please? No gaming but I'd like on board sound and video to support home entertainment if possible? If not, basic VGA Card?)
-2 x 2Gb Kingston 6400 (wont be upgrading for a while so I'd like them to experience a fast system for as long as possible)
-320Gb WD HD Sata II (may need to think about additional drive for PC backup)
-22" Samsung 2243BWX (pretty happy with my 226BW)
-GB-Lan, Multi-Card Reader, Existing Speakers, Existing Wireless Desktop Mouse and KB, Existing Vista, Tower Case (TBD).
...and I'll no doubt be needing a power supply which I have no idea about... other than I want it to be quiet!

So, I guess I'm looking for a recommendation on the MB primarily... and advice if any of the above is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance. Be kind :)

Barrister73
06-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Take a look at the Budget Build Plus. http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1642 That's more advanced than what I built 18 months ago, and I'm still able to play my video games at highest settings. It's more than enough for what you require, and well under $1,000.

MRR

entelechy
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks, appreciated.