PDA

View Full Version : i7 Core build UPDATE!

IceHot
06-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey guys I am back. Thought I'd post an Update on the i7 I built couple months ago. I couldn't be happier. Refresher...I got the i7 920. 280GTX evga version. ex58 ud5 gigabyte mother board. 6gigs dd3 corsair ram. 750watt ocz power supply. sunbeam transformer blue case. 64bit vista. I gotta say that this is an awesome computer. Since I completed my build all my have friends played l4d, crysis, cod4, on my computer and they all loved it. All of them have now gone out and built there own computers. I've helped put together 5 computers in the last 6 weeks. All started up first boot!!! I'd just like to say thank you again for the help. I was on this forum posting almost every other day for 2 straight months trying to make up my mind on what to buy and what not to buy. I Couldn't be happier with my build. I just had one question. I am coming into some unexpected money very soon and can afford to spend some of it. I was wondering if getting an extra 280gtx for sli would be worth it seeing as the prices keep on dropping for it, and if so would I need some sort of different cooling system? Right now with fan speed at 100% I idle at 41-43 degrees and under full load its 69-74 degrees. Also, would this power supply have enough power to power my computer? Any suggestions or comments appreciated as always Thanks guys!!! Sorry I dont have a cammera so I cant take picutes for ya either :-/

JeffAHayes19
06-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Buy a camera with some of that unexpected money, dude. You can get a decent point-and-shoot for $100 or less, these days.

As for the SLI question, I think I'll have to let someone with more experience answer that one. I'm not really sure what constitutes a danger point for temps, but I'm thinking anything over 70 degrees C inside a computer case is getting rather toasty (that's 158 F, yaknow, and you or I would DIE rather quickly in that kind of heat).

My parts for my first i7 build are just arriving (still waiting on case, power supply and DVD drive and card reader), so hopefully by the middle of the week I'll know what you're feeling.

Congratulations on your successful build and keep on rockin'!
Jeff

The Wise Monkey
06-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Graphics cards are good up until about 90C, so you are OK there.

If you really need/want SLI, then go for it - quite a lot of games nowadays work with it, so you definitely see a jump in frame rates. Although it depends what resolution you are playing at, as anything at 1680x1050 or below will not notice any real difference.

Glad your build is going well, and that the PC building bug has spread to your friends too. :)