PDA

View Full Version : 2nd build-what would I do better?

Ditto1958
06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Well, as I bragged about in another thread in the "graduates" section, I finished my first build over the weekend and am basically very happy with it. I

I owe thanks to Rob for his site and everyone who contributes here. I really needed the help.

I am now officially addicted and need to start on another system. That got me thinking abut what I would want to do better the next time. I think number 1 would be cable management. The first time, I was totally stressed about just getting everything plugged in right and getting it to work. I think, though, that for now the door on the side of my case is best left closed. :)

So, next time I'll come armed with plastic ties and a plan on how to route the cables better and more neatly.

Second, Rob's advice to stay away from cheap parts is very important. I did that for the most part. I do need to upgrade the graphics card I used, though, but I knew that going in. I scrimped a bit on that due to budget constraints, but that should be easy to upgrade.

I think, though, that it is very important to use a case that is high quality, and that you like to work with. Probably even more important is to buy a good motherboard. That's probably the very last place to economize.

The Wise Monkey
06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Sound advice - you could always re-open your current PC and reorganise the cables though. :)

Ditto1958
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, you're right. That sounds like a good project for this weekend coming up.

The Wise Monkey
06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I always prefer tying the spare cables up and attaching them to a support strut in a spare 5.25" bay. :)

JeffAHayes19
06-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I always prefer tying the spare cables up and attaching them to a support strut in a spare 5.25" bay. :)

I just wrap mine around the power supply really tight, so I'll know if it's overheating by that familiar smell of burning insulation. :p

zburns
06-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Do not use flat ribbon cables even tho they may come with the hardware. Impossible to manipulate them and they interfere with air flow. Instead use a replacement "round bundled" (1/2 inch roughly dia) cable even tho you are paying extra. Only trick is to figure out the right length to buy -- means you must know your "routing" in advance.