PDA

View Full Version : Building with used parts?

ailinsh1
05-21-2009, 06:20 AM
So my son (12 yrs) has decided that this summer he wants to build his own computer. I applaud this idea, but have cautioned him it may take more than the summer just because of cost factors (Hint: I am not paying for this....;)); takes time for a 12 year old to earn $$. He's thinking he could use parts from old computers, which I also applaud, since the point here is the experience more than ending up with a tricked out machine. However, I'm wondering if using old parts brings up all sorts of compatibility issues. Any advice on the parts that are most easily culled from old computers vs. those that would be best bought new? Or is mixing older with new just asking for more problems? His first thought was that he could at least cut the cost of the case out by seeing if his grandfather would allow him to gut his old computer (5 years old; motherboard problems). That seems reasonable to me. Anything else that's easy to pull from older computers?

Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
05-21-2009, 06:50 AM
You could probably use the old hard drive and CD/DVD drive as these are generally compatible with anything. Just make sure that the motherboard you get has the required connections i.e. either IDE or SATA, or both.

Depending on the added components, you could also use the power supply.

As for the CPU and RAM, you need to make sure that these are compatible with the motherboard you choose. The CPU needs to be the same socket type as the motherboard e.g. 775, AM2 etc. The RAM will be either DDR or DDR2 - you need to make sure that the motherboard has the matching type. To avoid this kind of confusion, you might be able to get a cheap bundle of stuff from eBay.

I'm glad your son is taking an interest in these things, and this probably goes without saying, but make sure you let him know all the potential safety hazards that could arise when building your own PC.

Welcome to the forums, and wish your son good luck from us. :)

ailinsh1
05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the tips. Yes, we have already spoken about safety issues, and while he wants to "do it all himself", he will be supervised, if only by having a parent in the room.

The Wise Monkey
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
That's good then - better to set the ground rules early so they stick with him for life. :)

RickyTick
05-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forums Ailinsh1.

This sound like a great project. I would suggest gathering the money over the summer, and then making one big purchase for all the items needed.

Would it be possible for you to describe the old pc to be used? What kind, what model number, or any kind of specifications you can find.