PDA

View Full Version : psu problem????

bacardi2001
05-18-2009, 11:41 AM
ok this happened months ago one time and after i unplugged the comp and plugged it back in it worked fine up until today.

ok last night everything worked fine until this morning i turned on my comp and all the fans go on and lights light up no beep and a couple of seconds later it shuts off, then a couple of seconds later it turns on and just repeats the on off thing. any suggestions? if it is power supply why kind should i get?

here are my specs http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2265

bacardi2001
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
i ended up getting this psu what do you guys think?

http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews/?id=150

The Wise Monkey
05-19-2009, 02:50 AM
That looks pretty good, but kind of overkill considering your specs.

Try the new PSU in your system and let us know if it works or not. :)

bacardi2001
05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
yeah and to think i was going to get the coolmax 950 cause it was only $119 http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/cug950/cug950.html

anyways the psu worked when i put it in yesterday then today i tried to turn the comp on and same stuff goes on for a few seconds and shuts off. now when i first tried it this morning i did hear a single beep but nothing on the screen and all the lights were on on the motherboard. so i shut it off and tried again and it just tirned on then off and on and off. so i changed the cpu cooler same thing i disconnected the hard drive same thin i disconnected the dvd drive same thing. any suggestions? could it be the video card? killing something?

bacardi2001
05-19-2009, 05:09 PM
i unplugged the video card from the psu leaving it on the mobo and i got a continuous beep from the speaker but still the same problem

RickC
05-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a possible CMOS battery problem, try replacing it. I have a Dell and it had the same exact problem, replaced the battery and amazingly it's all better.

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Yeah, that's a good suggestion, and definitely worth a try.

bacardi2001
05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
ok changed the battery and still the same thing!!!!!

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
OK, this is just weird...

Is the motherboard shorting out anywhere? Are any wires crossing that shouldn't be? Are all the power cables firm and secure including the 20/24-pin one to the motherboard and the 4-pin one for the CPU?

bacardi2001
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
4-pin one for the CPU? im not sure what your talking about. but nothing changed. i had it on e one night and the next day this happens and nothing has moved im the only one who uses this comp. another thing it is HOT IN MY LIVING ROOM where the comp is im almost certain that is the problem it might of burnt something out. what do you think? i mean im running out of solutions and i dont want to take it to the geek squad they charge 70 dollars to just look at it. maybe the only other thing is to take it all apart and put it back together again.

The Wise Monkey
05-20-2009, 04:31 PM
It could be the CPU overheating - try removing the heatsink, clean it thoroughly, and then re-apply thermal paste and re-attach it.

There should be a 4-pin square adapter from the PSU that goes to the motherboard and attaches near the CPU.

bacardi2001
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
It could be the CPU overheating - try removing the heatsink, clean it thoroughly, and then re-apply thermal paste and re-attach it.

There should be a 4-pin square adapter from the PSU that goes to the motherboard and attaches near the CPU.

i changed out the cpu cooler fan and cleaned of the paste and put the stock fan on that came with the cpu. it already had paste on it. if i put the other cooler back on how much paste do i put on?

The Wise Monkey
05-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Just a small blob in the middle should be fine.

bacardi2001
05-21-2009, 07:14 PM
nope probably a fried cpu

The Wise Monkey
05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
That's also a possibility...

The problem with something like this is that there are so many possible options that it makes it very hard to diagnose.

I'd recommend getting a really cheap 775 socket CPU from eBay, any one will do, and try that in your PC to see if it is the CPU that is the problem.