PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Hard Way

cando
05-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Currently I have one hd hooked up to my PC. I will monthly hook up a second drive to backup my docs than unhook it so that if a virus were to attach my pc I would still have a good my docs. I did try a exturnal drive but it didn't work well and took forever to backup. I though about maybe a raid but I believe that would be an exact copy including any virus. I know that I will loss info between backups. Does any know of a easier way to back data on a more permanent basis? or if I were to leave the second hd in I'm guessing that it would be exposed as well. Yes I have an anti virus working.

The Wise Monkey
05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
You could do your backups to DVD/BD depending on how much data you have.

Alternatively, you could have a network attached storage device that you only plug in for backups, but these are quite expensive.

Another option would be to have a hot-swappable caddy installed in your PC so you could just put a hard drive in for backups without having to open your case or restart your PC. This solution is not that expensive, but can be a bit tricky to set up.

RAID 1, which I suspect is what you are talking about, is the mirroring one where everything is copied bit-for-bit to all hard drives in the array.

cando
05-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks

Sounds like what I'm doing is OK. I'll research the hot swap.

HINT for all newbies like myself, it seems simple but---

THE BETTER MORE DETAILED QUESTION YOU ASK
THE BETTER MORE DETAILED ANSWER YOU GET.

Thanks again.