PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion a6710t series deal

glassr
05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
with 3 gb ram, vista home premium 64 bit, 250 gb HD, E7400 core 2 duo, integrated video and audio with open slots (1 PCIe (x16 graphics), 1 PCI, 2 PCIe (x1)), 250 w power supply, free shipping $399.

Is this ok for general use and a lot of streaming video? I'd consider upgrading video card. Really only stream off internet and no gaming.

If this is a good deal, what video card should I put in this?

Thanks.

RickyTick
05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Sure, that's a pretty good deal.

You could add a dedicated video card somewhere down the road for less than $100. At that time, you might consider a video card that is a low power consuming card since you will only have a 250 watt psu.

Otherwise, looks ok to me.

glassr
05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Can you recommend a modestly priced card and also a modestly priced audio card with digital output? Is the 250w enough to add video and audio?

RickyTick
05-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Take a look at the Xonar line of sound cards from Asus.

Adding a video card might be pushing the psu beyond safe limits. HP, Dell, Gateway, et al, have a tendency to under-rate their power supplies, but I'm not sure the 250 watt would be enough. You might consider an 8600GT or a HD4550, but I'm not absolutely sure.

zburns
05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
The 250 watt PSU is really pretty small. Your HD is also low on storage gig. You are willing to buy a video card and risk poor performance or a PSU breakdown because of the size of the PSU. Not sure about what quality level you can get with the streaming video. If the PSU is a limiting factor, you will see the effect in the video.

What kind of mobo is in the unit? Is it a brand you can find at Newegg or a special model for HP?

Have you looked at the budget build for $ 538 in the "Build your own PC" post? If you buy a video card and have to upgrade your PSU, your dollars are approaching the budget build price. So I am curious why you would want to buy an off the shelf unit as opposed to building your own. Down the road if you need service, can you do it or do you take it out to someone. If the mobo is HP dedicated, you are maybe stuck with it! Etc, etc.

About two years ago, I set out to build my own, using the info from this site; wanted to do it so I would learn in greater detail about the components. In the future I would always choose to build my own; the knowledge gain in "all things computer" is certainly worth the effort.

I am really not trying to talk you into building; I am just stating real facts as I see them.

glassr
05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I appreciate the input and will gladly build if it is worth the time and effort and lack of all inclusive warranty. Don't I want the e7400 and intel mobo in the budget build plus vs the amd in the budget build? I picked the hp build to come close to the budget build plus components. I need to learn more about psu and video cards to better realize the value in building my own vs what mass producers use in their skimpily powered systems. Am I close to the $538 or closer to the $700s in the budget build plus? My goal was to pay the least and still have quality video streaming.

Thanks.

zburns
05-14-2009, 08:06 AM
My concern after writing my reply was that I was "selling you" a convincing argument to build your own computer. I am really not trying to "convince" you or sell you on this. As I said, I am giving you facts as I see and believe them.

To build your own, you have to make a real committment in time and effort. Time to study Rob's instructions, go slow, ask questions when you are confused or "just lost", etc.. The benefit to one's "ever growing" knowledge about computers should be obvious if you work this way. If you ignore instructions or "just cross your fingers and pray", all this leads to trouble. So if you are going to build your own, be prepared to make a commitment in the "time and effort" required to do the job right!

Edit: While I am emphasizing the "time and effort" required, I am not saying or implying that "it is difficult" to build your own. It is really pretty easy, even the first time. Putting in the 'time and effort' helps to prevent 'screwups'.

I tried to find data on video streaming requirements but felt like everything was "all over the place". Logically, the faster the processor and the more RAM would be a better choice for video streaming.

Ricky Tick, Wise Monkey and other forum members can better advise you on the specific hardware; they follow "specific" hardware much more closely than I do.

Hope I have helped!!