PDA

View Full Version : Which MainBoard

Real Old Man
05-27-2007, 10:00 PM
5-27-2007
Howdy!

Due to hand tremors, this is my 3rd attempt to send this, as a straying finger hit this or that key and all was lost.

I want to try to build a computer with a Mainboard that will allow using DOS; Windows98SE; and XP with capability to add VISTA down the road. Looking up suggested mainboards at MSI, it seems some won't handle 98SE. I hesitate to take time ( being in my early 80's ) to try to learm all the wordage etc on Mainboards. A few years back, I took a tower computer in to a local shop to get it up-graded. Ended up getting a new case, a new mainboard ( MSI KT3 Ultra 2 Series MS-6380E (v1.X) ATX Mainboard which they put in along with power supply and other stuff from y older tower unit. Only took them 2-3 hours even with me leaning over their shoulder.

I figure if I start with the correct Mainboard, the rest should work out ok. Please advise. Thank you!
Monte
Real Old Man

Rob
05-28-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't know about a motherboard that works with Windows 98SE, XP and VISTA. They may exist, but I'm just not aware of them.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they are hard to come by. There's about 10 years difference in the technology between Windows 98SE and VISTA - even longer for DOS - so it may not be much of a priority for a motherboard to work with all of them.

Real Old Man
05-28-2007, 02:45 PM
5-28-2007

Howdy!

Thank You! Which MainBoard would you suggest just for DOS, WIN98SE; and XP, forget VISTA? The MSI KT3 Ultra 2 Series MS-6380E (v1.X) ATX Mainboard I have works ok on this machine, but where to get another or is there one still better that would work ok?
monte
Real Old Man

Rob
05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know without checking what motherboards work with both Windows 98SE and Windows XP. There's enough difference in the years between those OS versions that it would be a good idea to check and make sure a motherboard works with both before purchasing. In general, motherboards by MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte are well regarded. One good place to look for discontinued technology is eBay.