PDA

View Full Version : Low fan speed can prevent first boot

knestle
05-10-2009, 03:01 PM
The short version:

If you build your system using low speed fans (such as the Enermax Marathon 120mm, which runs at 900 RPM) as either CPU or case fans your system may not boot due to a 'detected under speed or no fan'.

The long version:

I stumbled across this nugget in a review of the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless mobo at NewEgg.com. I would credit the author but I could not find a name on the review.

His mention of a First Boot problem caught my eye and the symptoms were EXACTLY what I am experiencing with my new(now old?) build. I get fans and LEDs, but no beep, no post, and no video.

Since I have an Enermax Marathon 120mm fan mounted on a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme cooler and plugged into my CPU FAN socket I hoped that this might be my problem. No such luck. I tried plugging in a high speed(read noisy) fan but it didn't change anything.

Continue only if you are REALLY bored and have nothing else to read:

I say 'new(now old?)' build because I put it together last September, it failed First Boot, and I've only recently begun to poke at it again.

I know that 'proper diagnostic procedure' is to pull out the mobo and try it outside the case, but for some reason my twisted mind refuses to accept that. After the effort invested in getting it all assembled I just can't bring myself to pull it apart. This is my third build, what the hell is my problem with undoing a few plugs and screws?!

Since the system is now six months old (that's 8 dog years or 80 computer years?) I'm considering just replacing/upgrading the CPU with a quad core unit and new matching mobo.

I know it's crazy, but somehow disassembling the whole system to do an upgrade(to a system that has never functioned :) ) is not as repulsive as tearing it apart to test components.

--------------------------------------------------

Case: Antec 1200
Power Supply: Zalaman ZM750-HP 750W Modualar

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 5400+
CPU Cooler: Thermalrighht Ultra-120 eXtreme
CPU Cooler Fan: Enermax Marathon 120MM
RAM: Corsair DHX 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) 240-pin DDR2 800MHz

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Sound Card: Creative Audio PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Hard Disc Drive: Western Digital 80GB, 320GB, and 1TB
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203B

knestle
11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I finally upgraded mobo and cpu.

Motherboard : ASUS M4A78T-E AMD 790GX
CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 630 - 2.80 GHz

Now it starts up, I get the Windows logo and progress bar, then a blue screen with an error message the flashes by to fast to read, then a reboot.