PDA

View Full Version : MacBook

DrivetheGreen66
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I was wondering what you guys thoughts were about the Macbook??

The Wise Monkey
05-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Hmm... the eternal debate... :D

I do like Macs, but I feel that they are not as good as the price justifies. If you can square it with yourself about how much it will cost, then go for it - OSX is a very good OS, and you get some very good stuff as standard.

bug
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I've had a MacBook Pro for a few months now. I love it -- in fact, I "sit at it" more often than my main box (running Linux) that I built with the help of this page last summer.

If price is a concern, get one of the new white MacBooks. They're basically a $500 discount version of the regular aluminum MacBook. The only difference (other than the material) is the trackpad. It's a standard trackpad+button rather than the new trackpad=button configuration.

Also keep in mind that iWork (can open and save MS Office files) is only $79 and that you will not have to buy any kind of antivirus programs. That could save you close to $200.

Oh -- one last thing: Consumer Reports has (yet again) rated Apple's support as being the best.

The Wise Monkey
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
The main issue that I have with macs is that I like to tinker with my PC - change out the graphics card, mess around with overclocking etc. and they are designed so you shouldn't be able to do that...

Also, I play online games a lot, so a mac isn't really an option for my main PC. :)