PDA

View Full Version : MoBo and PCU

tomween1
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a few questions that may take several to answer. I have a AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (socket 939) CPU.

1. Is there a website that offers all the different mobo's for a specific socket type? Also are there folks out there that have a stance on their opinion of the best all around 939 mobo?

2. I have seen, in my travels of the web, psu's that are soley for gpu's one I saw was fit into a drive slot (cd, dvd etc) but can't seem to find these by any particular name. Hence I can't find them when I'm looking for them. I presently have a brand new 750 watt psu, (Antec Truepower TP-750w) however that will only power 1 9800GTX gpu. Adding any other gpu's ups my need to over 900w. I figure a stand alone psu will fix this issue.

3. Does anybody know if flat modular cables can be purchased, by themselves? Though my psu is new, I would like to diminish the clutter and use flat flex cables.

Thanks, Tom ;)

CuriousComputer
05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I have a few questions that may take several to answer. I have a AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (socket 939) CPU.

1. Is there a website that offers all the different mobo's for a specific socket type? Also are there folks out there that have a stance on their opinion of the best all around 939 mobo?

2. I have seen, in my travels of the web, psu's that are soley for gpu's one I saw was fit into a drive slot (cd, dvd etc) but can't seem to find these by any particular name. Hence I can't find them when I'm looking for them. I presently have a brand new 750 watt psu, (Antec Truepower TP-750w) however that will only power 1 9800GTX gpu. Adding any other gpu's ups my need to over 900w. I figure a stand alone psu will fix this issue.

3. Does anybody know if flat modular cables can be purchased, by themselves? Though my psu is new, I would like to diminish the clutter and use flat flex cables.

Thanks, Tom ;)

Your post is a little bit confuzzled and confusing.

Socket 939 is no longer supported. The processor you have was the last AMD 939 socket CPU ever made:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668

You might want to look into getting a board that supports AM2, I am not sure, but this might also support your older Socket 939 CPU.

I have no idea what you are talking about about a second psu that goes in your drive bay.

I would think a 700w brand name PSU could power two video cards.

Checkout newegg.com for all your computer research needs. Their customer reviews are extremely helpful. Organize the search results based on best review and you will find the "best" product for ANYTHING you are looking for.

Good Luck,
-CC

The Wise Monkey
05-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Curious is right - socket 939 is deprecated technology, so you will find it hard to find a new motherboard with that socket outside of eBay.

AM2 is not compatible with 939 as they have a different number of pins.

An Antec 750W PSU will be more than enough to power two or even three graphics cards. If it only has one PCI-e power adapter, then you can get a converter which uses two standard 4-pin molex power connectors and turns it into another PCI-e one. Check out the Antec power calculator for more information: http://www.antec.outervision.com/

As for the cables, you can only buy extensions to the cables you already have as opposed to replacements, which would create more clutter. As long as you are careful in your positioning, you should be fine. I recommend getting some plastic cable ties and using them to group all your spare cables together and to tie them to the back of the case.

tomween1
05-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys, I am keenly aware of my socket and mobo options. Though it's "old Technology" it still serves me VERY well. I am currently running it on an ASUS A8N32-SLI and from what I've read, this was one of the best boards for this cpu.

My new ANTEC TP-750 is one of the newest in their line. Yes it does say this is sufficient to run all I need, however other psu evaluators say I need roughly 910w. I've also used the one on newegg which called for 1100w. Go figure!

Cables yeah your right, just wrap and hide. The one real p.i.a. was the ata cable, running all three drives. Though my SATA's are fine, I did get 2 StarTech 24" Round ATA cables. That should take care of the worst of the lot.

FYI I will probably stay w/ this configuration until I find a fantastic buy on a x3 or x4 Phenom and either the ASUS Crosshair II Formula, Foxconn Destroyer, or my ultimate wish GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P. Over my last couple builds, Gigabyte has become my fave.

All out thanks to you both,

Tom

RickyTick
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
There's something wrong with the power supply calculations. There's no way a system with one hard drive, and one video card, could need that much wattage. :confused:

tomween1
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
My apologies, you are correct, I am relocating this system into a new full size case. Adding two new 9800GTX vid cards and a new 500gb hdd (for a total of 2 hdd drives). Lastly going from 1 cpu fan and 2 90mm case fans to cpu fan 2 120mm case fans 2 90mm case fans and a 240mm case fan.

Tom