PDA

View Full Version : No first post

sicinfit
04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
This is my second build but I still consider myself a noob. I believe I had a motherboard go bad (socket 939) with my previous build so I just received my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo, Q8200 processor, 4Gb of memory. I didn't have serious issues with my first build so I expected this one to go well. I should have known better. I first noticed that when I hit the power button the first time that my CPU fan wasn't running. That concerned me a lot but then I noticed no display. After searching forums I realized I didn't get through POST either. I went through all the steps for problems with the first boot on this site to no avail. I've removed components to the point where the only thing hooked up is the processor, mobo, and PSU. Still nothing. I'm sure the problem is the mobo but I was hoping any of you have something else to try. Thanks.

Barrister73
04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
One other thing you can try is pull the board out of the case and try to start the computer. This will ensure that you don't accidentally have a short from the board to the case.

MRR

sicinfit
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I've already tried that. I've cleared the CMOS, hit the reset, checked the power connections, inspected the processor and socket, used different configurations of memory, removed all memory, and removed the motherboard from the case. Nothing has worked. I've got a 400 W PSU but since nothing was hooked up other than the mobo and processor I can't see that the PSU is too small. Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
05-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Is the four pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard plugged in?

sicinfit
05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
My previous 400w antec PSU has 2 four-pin connectors and a twenty-pin connector. I'm using the same arrangement as on my previous 939 board...the twenty pin and 4 pin connector (multicolored) go together to make the 24 pins and the 4 pin connector (2 yellow/2 black) is left unused. Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that any more - the newer CPUs and motherboards need the extra power. If you look on your motherboard, there should be a 4-pin power socket near the CPU for you to plug the spare connector into.

So, to summarise, there should be the 20+4-pin connector that is already plugged in, and another separate, square 4-pin adapter that needs to be plugged in.

sicinfit
05-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm looking at the mobo layout in the user's manual (Gigabyte EP45-UD3P) and the only other power connector is the 2x4 to the upper left of the processor. Do I put the 4 pin adapter in here? A couple of pages in the manual does mention 2x2 connector but it also mentions the 2x4 is recommended by the CPU manufacturer when using an "Intel Extreme CPU (130W)". Mine is only 95W. Thanks.

The Wise Monkey
05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, plug it in there - you won't do your CPU or motherboard any harm if that isn't the problem, but it will solve it if it is. :D

sicinfit
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it after I get off of work.

sicinfit
05-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I've gotten farther. My cpu fan is now operating, I'll get a beep the computer starts up, and my display will show the gigabyte screen where you can hit your keys to enter the BIOS, etc. After that it falls apart. It looks like the computer starts to continually reboot at this point.

The Wise Monkey
05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
You need to install the hard drive and then install the OS now. :)

sicinfit
05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
You are a most wise monkey. Thanks for your help. I've got almost everything running again. I did find out I got a bad stick of RAM. In two builds I've had twin Corsair sticks (valueselect the first time, XMS2 the second time) and I had a bad stick both times. I'm operating on a single stick of 2Gb but if that is the only major thing to go wrong I'm doing OK. That and I think one of my old spare HDs crapped out on me just a bit ago. Thanks again Wise Monkey.

The Wise Monkey
05-03-2009, 08:37 AM
No problem - it sucks that you have been unlucky with RAM, as Corsair have always been good for me.

Glad that everything is working now. :)

sicinfit
05-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Not quite everything is working ok. My secondary HD (an older 60gb) made some grinding noises and now has a RAW file system. Maybe that's the excuse I need to buy a nice new big one (it would have been nice to get the files off that one though).

The Wise Monkey
05-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Hah, it never rains but it pours... :(

Is nothing showing at all on your old HD?

sicinfit
05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I can't get into it. Windows doesn't show a capacity or amount used and reports that the drive is working. I tried to have windows check it for errors and it did nothing. Defragment wouldn't operate on that type.

The Wise Monkey
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Try one of these free tools and see if you can recover anything:

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools

sicinfit
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll try it after I get off of work. Thanks.

sicinfit
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I was able to get some files using Recuva. Unfortunately I can't remember what I had on that drive. Some is better than none. That was a very easy program to use. Thanks again Wise Monkey.

sicinfit
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I found another tool, PC Inspector, which gave me a tree structure. That looked a lot more familiar and I was able to recover it.

The Wise Monkey
05-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Awesome. :)

Just have to cross your fingers now that nothing else goes wrong...