PDA

View Full Version : Core i7 build

cartho
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone. I have been looking at these boards often lately after deciding to move forward with my own build. As the title says I am going with a core i7 build (920) and I have really only one question in regards to it.

I am stuck on what motherboard to get. I looked at the sticky for a high end core i7 build and it was recommended to use a gigabyte motherboard. Was this because you know it to be a superior board or was there something else at play that made you decide that board was appropriate?

I was considering an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 but I am curious what everyone else thinks when it comes to the board choice. So is the gigabyte a better board all around or is it specifically better for only a certain reason or is Asus a superior board?

Something that might help is I do not plan on running 2 video cards, I will stick with one larger card instead so the 3 slot sli is not a necessity for me and it seems as though the norm on most of these boards is to support 2 but once again that is not important to me.

Any help you may have to offer would be greatly appreicated. This is really the only decision point I am having trouble with, besides the case itself but that is a whole other story issue :)

If you really need to know all the other information regarding my choices for the build just let me know and I will post it.

The Wise Monkey
04-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Gigabyte boards are good because they incorporate the latest ultra-durable capacitors, and so tend to be more robust and long lasting, as well as offering solid overclocking capabilities.

ASUS boards have more additional features and are better for overclocking memory, but their customer support is notoriously poor.

It is up to you - the ASUS board you suggested is an excellent choice. If you want to save some money, you could go for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R or the ASUS Rampage II Gene. Both of these boards offer almost the same capabilities as the higher priced equivalents, but don't have three PCI-e slots, hence they are much cheaper.

I have used Gigabyte boards for years, and have never had any trouble. Make of that what you will - I have been very lucky. :)

cartho
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated. Also thank you for pointing me in the direction of other options that might fit my needs a little better and at a better price. Evaluating different motherboards can be a real pain, as I discovered this time.

I do have one more question though. Am I really loosing out on capability if I decide to use my windows XP operating system and not purchase a 64 bit version of Vista? I know that the bugs have been worked out of Vista and it is nowhere near the nightmare it was at release but is it worth buying another OS instead of using the one I currently have?

Once again thank you for your input, I have to say that this website has been one of the most helpful places I have visited while doing my research for this build. Stellar Site!!!

The Wise Monkey
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
No problem - glad we can help. :)

It depends on whether or not you are going to be using 4GB+ of RAM, as you will need a 64-bit OS to utilise all of it. Also bear in mind that XP is now eight years old, which is a very long time in computing.

What I would recommend is to wait a few months if you can, no matter how tempting it might be to build a new system at the moment. In 3-4 months, prices of the i7 processors and motherboards will drop a lot, and Windows 7 should be released, so it will be an ideal time to get a new PC.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :)

CuriousComputer
04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone. I have been looking at these boards often lately after deciding to move forward with my own build. As the title says I am going with a core i7 build (920) and I have really only one question in regards to it.

I am stuck on what motherboard to get. I looked at the sticky for a high end core i7 build and it was recommended to use a gigabyte motherboard. Was this because you know it to be a superior board or was there something else at play that made you decide that board was appropriate?

I was considering an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 but I am curious what everyone else thinks when it comes to the board choice. So is the gigabyte a better board all around or is it specifically better for only a certain reason or is Asus a superior board?

Something that might help is I do not plan on running 2 video cards, I will stick with one larger card instead so the 3 slot sli is not a necessity for me and it seems as though the norm on most of these boards is to support 2 but once again that is not important to me.

Any help you may have to offer would be greatly appreicated. This is really the only decision point I am having trouble with, besides the case itself but that is a whole other story issue :)

If you really need to know all the other information regarding my choices for the build just let me know and I will post it.

Just read the customer reviews on NewEgg and you will see why the Gigabyte motherboards are much better than the Asus ones.

When I was considering a Core i7 system I thought this board looked really good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

I will bite, what else are you planning on putting in your system?

-CuriousComputer

cartho
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
IT is actually not that much different than the recommended high end build stickied in the forum. there are a few minor changes though. when I get a little more time I will post links to what I am including.

I have not pinned down when I wil lactually start purchasing the components yet because I am not is a rush to do so. My current computer works so no worries yet.

Sicne I plan on using more than 4gig of RAM it looks like I will either be purchasing Vista or waiting for 7 to be released.

Do you really think Microsoft is only about 4 months out from releasing 7?

The Wise Monkey
04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, that's what I've heard... it probably won't though.

They are only releasing a release candidate tomorrow, and BBC reckon it will be within the next nine months:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8026736.stm

CuriousComputer
04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
IT is actually not that much different than the recommended high end build stickied in the forum. there are a few minor changes though. when I get a little more time I will post links to what I am including.

I have not pinned down when I wil lactually start purchasing the components yet because I am not is a rush to do so. My current computer works so no worries yet.

Sicne I plan on using more than 4gig of RAM it looks like I will either be purchasing Vista or waiting for 7 to be released.

Do you really think Microsoft is only about 4 months out from releasing 7?

I am in no rush to build my system either, it just seems like a good time,since prices on most electronics are really low right now, my computer is 5 years old, and I am about to get some graduation money.

However, I may wait another month or two, because, like you said, my current computer works.

I am going to keep my eyes peeled, if the prices start going up, I am going to buy everything I wanted to buy for my Core 2 Duo system.

On the other hand, if I wait a little while and see the prices on the Intel Core i7 start to drop, I may seriously consider going that route. If you read more about Core i7, however, it is really kind-of a waste to build a system like that right now. Most software cannot currently take advantage of its advanced architecture, so you are basically just paying more money for "bragging rights".

If you build your system before Windows 7 comes out. I would suggest installing XP and just using that until Windows 7 is released. I have not used Vista very much, but IMO, it is an ugly ugly piece of software.

blove145
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
hey everyone, new here but i too am looking to build. just started doing my research. Have built my own in the past. I was also looking @ the i7. Was debating between that and the q9550 quad core. the price difference isn't alot and was wondering how much better the i7 performs than the 9550.

another question i have relates to memory and how much better ddr3 is over ddr2. some stuff i have read so far say ddr3 isn't that much better in terms of what you get for your money. again, im just starting my research. all feedback is appreciated. thanks all.