PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Ubuntu 9.04

The Wise Monkey
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Just been released, and I have been trying the netbook revision out on my eeePC.

My experiences with Linux have been fairly limited - used Fedora at University, installed Ubuntu 8.10 on an old tablet and my eee came pre-installed with the standard Xandros distro that is used for all Linux eeePCs.

I have had XP SP3 installed and running on my netbook for a while, but I had heard about the "netbook remix" version of Ubuntu that was being released, and I thought that it was about time to try and use it properly.

Installation was easy - wrote the supplied .img file to a USB thumb drive, booted from that and was up and running in about 20 mins.

Networking was easy to set up, and I soon had Firefox configured the way I like it. Had a few issues regarding the default keyring continuously asking for my password, but sorted this out eventually - the Ubuntu forums were a very good source of information.

Perhaps the best thing I have found is Wine - a tool that can emulate a Windows environment within a Linux distribution. I have heard about this software, but have never tried it out. However, I have been using Spotify a lot since it was released, and really wanted to keep on using it, so I decided to give Wine a try.

Long story short, I am currently listening to "Pinball Wizard" by The Who, and my view on Ubuntu is definitely improved. :D

Not everything went smoothly. For example, Firefox 3 is really very slow on Linux, for some reason, and the mouse pad skips nbw and again, but I am sure these issues will be solved in the near future.

I am very impressed with this new version of ubuntu - I am sure that I won't be going back to Windows any time soon on my netbook, but it still isn't enough to tempt me away from Vista for my main PC. Despite this, it is a very good alternative, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to try out a different OS. :)

bug
04-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Just been released, and I have been trying the netbook revision out on my eeePC.
Not everything went smoothly. For example, Firefox 3 is really very slow on Linux, for some reason, and the mouse pad skips nbw and again, but I am sure these issues will be solved in the near future.

There is a simple fix: disable IPv6 in Firefox! Check here for instructions: http://techxplorer.com/2007/02/22/slow-browsing-using-firefox-on-ubuntu/

The Wise Monkey
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Cool, I'll try that out, thanks. :)

Here is a review of this version from tuxrader:

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-netbook-remix-904-hands

rexh
04-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I installed Ubuntu on an old Compaq Presario X1000 with a 1.4 GHz Pentium M that was very slow when I was trying to run XP on it. I reformatted the hardrive and loaded Ubuntu. Much to my surprise everything worked! Touch pad, 802.11b adapter, speakers, dvd ROM, SD card reader, everything, I did not have to load a single hardware driver. I am very impressed with the OS and it has saved my x1000 from a cold and dusty future in the bottom of a coat closet!!

joedp2
08-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I would like to install Ubuntu as a dual-boot on the new backup machine that I just built. However from the Ubuntu download site I can never find an.iso file, only a .rar file that unzips into a folder of files like you would expect to be on a CD. I tried multiple times with a few different versions and always the same thing. So I burned a CD with those files and tried to install, but the CD doesn't seem to be bootable. I can run the CD from within Windows, and it does give me an option to install within the Windows environment, but that seems like a stupid thing to do.

So, yesterday I sent for the CD from Ubuntu and I'll see what happens in 6 weeks when it comes in the mail.

rexh
08-18-2009, 08:15 PM
You need a separate program to burn the .iso disk. I used infrarecorder. http://infrarecorder.org/

joedp2
08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I tried that. The problem is that there is no .iso file.

rexh
08-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Try this link:

http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu-releases/jaunty/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

joedp2
08-21-2009, 08:22 PM
thanks

joedp2
08-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Turns out that I have windows set to associate .iso files with winrar, so when I downloaded the file it was given the winrar icon. I, therefore, assumed it was a .rar file and unzipped it.

Live and learn, eh?