PDA

View Full Version : first boot and nothing happened

rexh
04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
My setup is a amd 7750 cpu, antec sonata III case w/psu, 4g gskill ram, gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H mobo.

cpu and stock cooler installed fine on the mobo, installed the ram with no issue, installed the mobo in the case with no issues, used the standoffs. Plugged in the 24 pin power from psu to mobo, plugged in the 12v 4 connector plug to the mobo. Plugged the front panel swithches to the mobo, plugged the CPU fan to the correct fan header, plugged the 120mm case fan to a 5v 4 prong connector from the psu and then the smaller 4 prong plug from the psu into the "sys fan" header on the mother board, shorted the cmos jumper and removed the cmos battery for one minute. Plugged in the keyboard, monitor and mouse, plugged the psu into the wall, turned on the power switch and pressed the power switch and nothing happened other than a couple of LED's on the keyboard blinked for a split second. No fans, no beeps, nothing. I went back over all of the connections especially the the front panel buttons with no luck. My best guess is that I have a bad PSU. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter before I tear down the whole set up and return the case?
Sorry for the long post.

rexh
04-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Problem A: 12v fan header plugged into 5v plug, bad idea
Problem B: unused mobo standoff shorting out 12v 4 prong PSU connection under mobo
first boot successful!!!

The Wise Monkey
04-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Hehe, congrats on solving it yourself.

I suppose this is often the best way of doing at, as now you will always remember what things to check the next time you build a PC. :)