PDA

View Full Version : SATA and IDE drive???

tomween1
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
OK so can I clean and reformat a IDE and use it as a second drive? Keep in mind that my main drive will be SATA (drive C) and the second drive will be IDE (drive D)???

If yes to this my guess is, would I then set up the IDE in the BIOS after install of Windows???

Finally and most critical while the IDE is still in place in its existing computer, is this where I should wipe it clean? Or does this happen in the new install. I have my doubts of this, because Windows is installed on it and I would think this may confuse the new computer. I know I am:D.

This is all being done to to the fact that the IDE isn't even a month old.

Thanks, Tom

cando
05-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Seems strange no one replied to your question. I do not know if the sata and ide will conflict, did you read the mobo manual? I have an old pc and its all IDE, both harddrives used to be masters, os on them, I just change the jumpers to set the main one to master and the other to slave, this has worked so far. I use the slave as my backup drive and copy the my doc folder to it. I set it up just to b/u then unplug it until I want to b/u again.
To get to your point you can format it on any pc if you wish to start new.
Hope this helps.

The Wise Monkey
05-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Firstly, no need to bump old threads... :p

If you are still looking for an answer tomween, then I can give you several:

1. Yes, you can do this
2. No, you don't need to do anything special in the BIOS except confirm the boot order is such that your original SATA drive is higher in the list than the other drive.
3. If Windows is not installed on the new SATA drive, then I would advise against connecting the other drive until you have completed the installation. This is simply because you want the Windows (SATA) drive to be assigned C:, and this may not happen if you have another drive connected.