PDA

View Full Version : Help: Broken Computer

cstack89
04-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi I have a computer that is over 10 years old which I am trying to turn into a linux server/just fiddle with. The problem is I took it apart a few years ago and can't get it back together again. Here are the specs

Case: I have no idea.
PSU: Also no idea.
Motherboard: g586ipc rev c
CPU: No idea.
RAM: No idea
Graphics card: diamond stealth 3d 2000
Sound card: Creative, I don't know the exact model
Hard Drive(s): I don't know the model, there is only 1 of them.
Optical Drive(s): A cd rom drive and a floppy drive.

Operating System: It had Windows 95 and at one point was updated to Windows 98.

Currently when I turn it on, it sounds like it is starting up and then makes a lout beeping noise. In the manual troubleshooting it says that this beep means there are video problems, so they can't be displayed on the screen. My guess is I just hooked something up incorrectly.

It's all very confusing to me, I don't know what to hook up to what. I have a ribbon cable which comes down from the cd rom drive to the hard drive and then into the second ide port. The graphics card is in second PCI slot. I thought I heard it was supposed to be in the closet one, but there is something else in that one, it has inputs for the mouse and 2 other connections which I don't know anything about. There is nothing actually in the PCI slot though. I don't think i had moved this earlier but I guess it's a possibility?

Another thing is I have no idea where the floppy drive connects to? It fits in something on the graphics card, but I don't know if thats where it goes.

If you can understand the problem from any of that let me know, or if there is any more information you need or pictures I can definitely get you that, just tell me what you need the pictures of or information on.

Thanks,

Chris

cstack89
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
After going to Romulus 2 : Computer UK - POST Error Beep Codes as directed from another post I checked under Award BIOS because I believe thats what I have and looked for the correct beep sequence. My computer is making a long beep and then silent then another long beep, over and over again. This isn't on the site so I don't know what the problem is?

The Wise Monkey
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
For putting all the cables back in the correct place, check out Rob's excellent instructions:

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_parts_list.shtml

Once you have everything plugged in correctly, the error beep might disappear. :)