PDA

View Full Version : [Second time build with exceptions!

tomween1
04-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Good day all. I have built a great computer based on an ASUS A8N32-SLI, previously. During that process I acquired some additional new parts, not being aware of anything at all. For instance, I purchased a AMD AM2 processor when I needed a 939 series. I also acquired Kingston 186pin (1 x 2gb). A 550watt power source, which I deemed not enough power for that build. A case, GT7600 video card wireless "G" card, fans etc.

And now the tricky part. Since my first build I have lost a significant ammount of eyesight. With this in mind, I would like to find (what I believe would now be) an older Motherboard to work with my already purchased items. My other criteria is built in WiFi (even though I have a WiFi card already) and EASY assembly. I recall during my first motherboard search that there were boards created for beginners. Basically a "color coded step by step" board. this build is for ny youngest daughter and I will have her help me. The idiot proof board is for me and my eyesight.

I do like ASUS, however I find their product to be a more advanced builders board?!? I would think that the components I have are adaptable to most of today's newer boards as well but don't know where to start this time through.

Thank you in advance, Tom

The Wise Monkey
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Do you mean 184 pins? That is the amount for DDR RAM, or there is 168 pins for SDRAM - which one is it?

tomween1
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
My error, it is 184 pin

The Wise Monkey
04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
iirc, I don't think you can get AM2 socket motherboards that are compatible with DDR RAM - they all use DDR2.

Because DDR2 RAM is so cheap now, it is no problem to buy 2GB of DDR2 to replace your old RAM - here is 2GB of Crucial RAM for $20:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163

As for the motherboard, this ASUS M2N32 is good for the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-MOTHERBOARD-M2N32-SLI-DELUXE-Wi-Fi-AMD-Socket-AM2_W0QQitemZ220389371532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item220389371532&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

tomween1
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I kinda figured the memory was a moot point however, I'm not sure this board will meet my eyesight problems. I actually have this board on watch in my eBay. I looked into this board, and it doesn't really seem to be an easy to assemble board. Or at least no more simple then any other standard board.

The Wise Monkey
04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
How about this Asrock motherboard?

http://www.cesell.com/product.php?productid=161178

All motherboards are laid out in pretty much the same fashion, so I don't really know how one can be "easier" that another... :/

chunkylover53
04-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah, the only thing you can try for is less options. Less card slots, fewer memory slots, fewer sata connectors, etc. IMO, that really won't help you much though. Trying to put myself in your situation, tough as it may be, I think you might be OK with a combination of the diagrams in the manual and your daughter's help. Try downloading the manual from the manufacturer website before you buy to see what I mean. They really do call everything out that you'll need. The only thing you might struggle with are the front panel connectors, since they are pretty small. Not sure if that helps.

The Wise Monkey
04-04-2009, 07:17 AM
You could go for a smaller form factor motherboard i.e. mATX instead of ATX, as these generally have less on them, but the flip side is that they are smaller. Also, you might have difficulty finding one with built in WiFi.

These are all the AM2 compatible motherboards stocked by Newegg - I recommend you have a look through this list and find the one that you think will be easiest for you. The real problem I have had in finding a board to recommend is that WiFi AM2 boards are very few and far between - is built-in WiFi essential? Would a separate USB WiFi dongle be acceptable instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201070930149&name=AM2%2b/AM2

tomween1
04-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Thank you both.
Wise Monkey, built in wifi is definitely not a priority, really it was just something I wanted to experience. As I stated before I already have a wifi card. It is only a few months old and in excellent condition.

chunkylover53 Thank you too. Interesting that you suggest this, it's what I did on my ASUS build. Though I did this, going from extra large views to looking at the board was tough.:eek:

I presume, in any case, it wont be as easy as I was hoping. Truly newegg is a great site specifficly when previewing a potential board.