PDA

View Full Version : Still haven't found what I'm looking for ...

SpacemanSpiff
03-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Greetings, all!

I didn't think my biggest issue with planning my first build would be the case, but because I never gave it any thought until now, I can see why it's becoming a problem. I thought I'd just use something suggested here, until I looked at them and see they don't work for me. Can someone knowledgeable about cases please suggest something based on the below?

Here's what I'm looking for, in great detail, though some of it will be sacrilege to some: :)

- good ventilation... duh
- tower ... it's going on the floor ... I've got vertical space
- non-descript ... it's basically going in my living room (I'm in a small apt) ... all black or all light or black & silver 2-tone, but NO colors (orange, red, yellow trim)
- no bright lights ... or at least ones I can disable ... for the same reason as above ... I don't want it to look "cool", just not distracting
- no doors ... I don't need a hassle getting to the CD/DVD quickly or a door hanging open near where people walk
- no fan on top ... I'll probably put things there and don't want restrictions
- USB & audio in front, but mid to top level ... not on the bottom, since cables would have to stretch from the floor and could be stepped on
- side windows not necessary (esp. if lit)
- 3-5 5.25" bays and at least 1 external 3.5" bay ... I'll probably put in a FDD
***** a flap/cover would be preferable here to hide the FDD, esp. if the bezel doesn't match the case .. my wife's no-name case has this
- internal 3.5" bays oriented to the side ... like the Antec Sonata III and my wife's no-name ... nice feature

That's all ... I think. I don't ask for much. :o

I'm tempted to just use the tan, empty, 19"x17" no-name I found and have had lying around with 3x 5.25" and 3x 3.5" external bays (+ 1x 3.5" internal), no side vent but a missing door. Any reason I shouldn't just use what I have for a new build?

Thanks all!

SpacemanSpiff
04-04-2009, 12:52 AM
I think I've settled on this Gigabyte Triton 180 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233016).

Out of everything I looked through, it seems to have everything I wanted above, except a door over the 3.5" external bay. Not a bad trade.

The Wise Monkey
04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Looks good - very functional. :)

I for one am a sucker for blue leds or brushed aluminium... :D