PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for first-time new build

rippinrod
03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
The biggest question I have regarding which build I should do (budget, budget+, or high-end) relates to speed.

Currently we have a Dell M1530 XPS laptop with following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

This is mainly my wife's computer and mine is an old desktop.

So, to the question, would the budget build be significantly faster than the laptop above?

If not, I'll need to think about the budget+ or even the high-end build you currently have laid out. The laptop is okay, but it seems underpowered and slow--even though we bought the high-end components at the time.

I want something that will boot up fast and doesn't seem affected by things such as security suite software. I'm not into games, but I am going to school to be a software engineer and I'm not sure what I might need there in the near future.

I've been lurking here for a few days and this is a really great site. Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
03-18-2009, 02:37 PM
That is a very powerful laptop - what Operating System have you got installed on it?

rippinrod
03-18-2009, 10:31 PM
That is a very powerful laptop - what Operating System have you got installed on it?

I believe it is Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Do you think I'll probably have to go with the high-end build to be significantly faster?

The Wise Monkey
03-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Well, I think that if you installed a fresh copy of Vista or XP on that laptop it would improve the performance dramatically - most laptops come loaded with a huge amount of software that you don't actually need, and it just slows down boot times and general performance.

As it stands, the budget build will be faster than it seems at the moment, but will probably perform about the same as the laptop with no useless software on it. :)

rippinrod
03-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Sorry, started writing this before I saw you're recent reply. So, for significant increase I'm looking at budget+ or high-end.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the budget build (my wife asked me to keep the cost down but agrees I shouldn't build unless significantly faster than the M1530 laptop) and figured I better ask the professionals here for your opinion before spending money on something we won't be satisfied with.

I want to run a 24" Samsung monitor and just want fast bootup/shutdown and fast transition between programs. Again, don't care about gaming but wouldn't hurt to be able to run graphic intensive programs at a fast rate. If a good video card is available for a good price (regardless if meant for gaming) I'd like to be able to install it.

I also want something that I can upgrade for the next 5+ years without changing too much (mobo, in particular). I was thinking about the Cooler Master Cosmos S case.

I'd prefer a smaller case, but it doesn't seem like there's much out there that can handle significant upgrades and still look as visually appealing as the Cosmos S--subjective, I know. I don't care for all the bling or side windows.

I really like the upper end Lian Li cases or Silverstone cases, but they seem too expensive.

I originally wanted to go with a Thermaltake Soprano DX w/o window (seemingly not available now, and seems to have issues with larger gpu's that I might want down the road a few years).

Thanks for your reply and any additional advice!

Rod

The Wise Monkey
03-19-2009, 05:03 AM
I have a Thermaltake Soprano case (the old style) and I love it. :D

Here is a pic from the side, with my old 8800GTS, which was a massive card:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/TheWiseMonkey/?action=view&current=27112007005.jpg

It just managed to fit between my two hard drives with a bit of re-arranging.

I'm also a big fan of the Lian Li aluminium cases, but they are very expensive. However, they will last for ages as they are very solidly built.

I'd suggest going for the budget-build plus but with a few tweaks - an E8400 or Q9550 CPU instead of the E7400 suggested, and a Corsair 650TX PSU to go with whatever case you want ($75 after MIR which is an excellent price):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

For super fast boot times and application loading, and if you can justify the extra cost, you could use a SSD drive for the OS, such as this Intel X25-M:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167005

rippinrod
03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Wise Monkey.

Those seem like some good suggestions. That's a nice setup you've got!

One thing I'm wondering about though. If I shell out for a mobo, would I be better off getting the 1366 socket so I can upgrade my processor in a couple of years? I mean, isn't the 775 socket about maxed out as far as processors go? One reason I mention this is that the i7 920 is only $5 more than the Q9550. Although the 1366 mobo is quite a bit more than a 775.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about here, but wouldn't the i7 920 be noticeably faster than the Q9550?

Thanks again,
Rod

The Wise Monkey
03-20-2009, 04:13 AM
The i7 isn't as fast as the Q9550 by itself, but it does offer better upgrade options and better future proofing as well as access to a newer chipset and triple channel RAM. The problem with an i7 based build is that you will need an X58 motherboard, which will set you back an additional $300; if you are prepared to spend that much, then go for it. :)