PDA

View Full Version : Network challenge

RickC
03-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm trying to setup a home network. Everything is wired. My cable line in goes to my Comcast modem, then I have a line from it into my Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router. All three computers are connected to the router ports via CAT5 cable. The internet is accessible on all three computers. Here is my challenge. I cannot see the other computers from any one machine. One machine uses Vista Home Premimum x64, another has Windows XP Pro with service pack 2, and the third is a MAC machine with Mac OS 10 Tiger. I am running Norton Internet Security on the 2 Windows machines and nothing on the MAC other than it's original configuration. As I said all three work individually on the internet. What I want to do is have the ability to transfer files, pictures, etc. between each machine. I also want to be able to print from each machine to one printer, in this case a HP Deskjet 1220C, which is currently not connected to any of the machines. I've tried but am at a loss right now on how to proceed. So far I think I have to install a different protocol on the XP machine for Vista to see it, as for the MAC I'm absolutely clueless. As for the printer well who knows. So I have a challenge and thought I'd throw it out there for suggestions on how to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated and my thanks in advance, until then I have much research to do.

RickC

RickyTick
03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I would use the Microsoft wizard to set up the network. You essentially have to set each computer to "share" with the others. The printer can also be set up as a shared printer.

The Wise Monkey
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Ricky is right - the Microsoft wizard is the way to go. One question though - can you ping the other computers? To do this, find the IP addresses of all the three PCs, turn them all on, log onto one of the Windows ones and open up a command prompt. From here, type ping followed by the IP address of one of the other PCs. It should get a response, even if file sharing hasn't been configured.

RickC
03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok I'm at a frustration level here. I'm obviously missing something simple. I've tried the wizard in both the XP and Vista machine and I still cannot see one or the other from either machine, does that make sense? I did try to install the LLDT protocol on the XP machine which the Vista wizard states I need to do to see it. No luck. I did state that the XP machine was service pack2 when in fact it is service pack 3. It does not seem to matter. I'm beginning to wonder a few things.

First is I'm connected to just a router. I read somewhere on the net when dealing with differing OS's that a swicth is required. Humm? True, not true?

Second after trying the wizard to set up a network on the XP machine, the support sites state that I should have a My Network Places option when I hit the start button and that is not the case.

Third could Norton Internet security being having a hand in this? Firewall or whatever? Hate to take it down just to find out.

Also read that some ports may have to be opened to allow the pc's to see each other and well I'm so confused at this point I'm lost at how to do this. I know it's in my router settings but amazingly it won't let me access it because lol I forgot the pw to do it.

At this point I'm running in circles and screaming and shouting, foaming at the mouth, dizzy from the lack of oxygen, and thinking of loading the M1, aiming carefully and putting all these machines to sleep forever.

Is that frustrating enough? Ok so I'll put it all into check, try to sleep on it, and toss and turn until maybe, maybe with the light of day, start this process over.

As for IP's, are not all the machines using the same IP if they are connected to the router? Ok that does sound stupid. You know I'm sitting here just thinking how does one get a command prompt in either OS? What is my name? Someone GET THE Difibulator!!!!!

The Wise Monkey
03-14-2009, 08:09 PM
The router will assign each PC an individual IP address, usually 192.168.x.x. To find out what this is:

1. On the XP machine, right click the network icon in the system tray and select status.
2. On the Vista machine, go to the Network and Sharing Center, click on the View status link on the right hand side and click the Details button.
3. Do this for the Mac: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=6526

To open a command prompt, go to the Accessories menu in the start menu, and select command prompt. Or press the Windows Key + R to open up the run box and type cmd.

Norton could be blocking it, but check out the Network and Sharing Center in Vista to make sure that file/printer sharing is enabled.

RickyTick
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
If you forgot your password, you can press and hold (for 30 seconds) the red reset button on the rear of the router. That will set everything to the default settings from linksys. Your username and password will be admin. You can then change your password and whatever else you need to set.

RickyTick
03-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Also remember that your computers are now behind the router, so your level of security just increased dramatically. Sometimes 3rd party firewalls and virus/spyware protection software don't play nice with routers and networks.

Technically you don't need a firewall if you're behind a router. Unless you've configured port forwarding or DMZ on the router.

RickC
03-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok I've been running the guantlet for about 5 hours now. The result is this:

The Vista 64 computer ipconfig results:

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:29:04 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 16, 2009 11:29:04 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.73.242
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Vista 64 pinging the router:
C:\Users\Rick>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Vista 64 pinging the XP Pro 32 bit machine:
C:\Users\Rick>ping 192.168.1.100

Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I'll post the XP machine setup and results on my next reply.

Basically I can ping the router from both PC's no problem.
I still cannot access the router web page at 192.168.1.1 on either machine.
I've reset the router, still the same result.
I've unplugged both the modem and the router, waited 30 seconds, same result.
I've reset the router and unplugged it and you guessed it, same result.
I simply cannot make it load the router webpage.
I've gone to linksys website support and followed conceivable troubleshooting step on both machines and still same result.
Bottom line is I cannot access the router web page for setup options.

I've tried logging in with admin as user and pw and Rickytick suggested, no access.
I've tried logging in according to linksys instructions with user left blank and pw as admin, no access.
I've tried reinstalling from the linksys setup disk, when it gets to password, I enter admin as prompted by the instructions and it just loops over and over again.

All three computers work fine on the internet, I just can't see any of the machines on the so called network.

Lastly I disabled all the virus and security on both machines and tried loading the router web page and still cannot. Also nothing changed as far as pinging the machines except that each machine will ping the router successfully.

I've installed every protocol available on both machines and installed the tunneling one on the XP machine as was suggested by Microsoft with it's hotfix. Still the same result.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what I'm missing? Individually each machine, and I've not toyed with the MAC network settings yet, all access the web fine, and all ping the router fine. I just cannot access the router web page to get to the settings of it and I cannot see any of the machines from one to the other.
Everything that could possibly be shared has been turned on with the exception of printer sharing as it is not connected to anything yet.
I thought I'd update the firmware on the router but you have to be able to access the web page to do so, so I'm at a deadend there.

Aside from this lengthy post I'll send the ipconfig settings from the XP machine in my next reply, tough to try copy paste when you don't have the ability to operate from one machine.

Rickytick, I said I had a challenge, it appears I wasn't kidding. Your help is appreciated. Sorry for such a long post but I'm sure you understand why that is.

Thanks
RickC

RickC
03-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Here are the XP machines results:
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Carney>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-4A-3A-A5
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::207:e9ff:fe4a:3aa5%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.73.242
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:06:44 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 16, 2009 12:06:44 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Carney>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
C:\Documents and Settings\Richard Carney>ping 192.168.1.101

Pinging 192.168.1.101 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

RickC
03-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Lastly the router is a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router. Model number BEFSR41 ver. 4.1
I'm also wondering if it could be that the NIC's are different, I know from tech school sometimes that was a problem in that they did not like to communicate with each other but that was on Windows NT 4.0.
I truly believe it has everything to do with the router and not being able to access the settings, I certainly could be wrong but at this point I guess I have to think in a bigger picture, I'm just lost at this point.
Time to take break but boy oh boy the gears are turning!

RickC
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Well it turns out the router was fried or just not working completely. I put a new one in it's palce and bingo. Wierd how it would allow me to grab internet and operate each machine on it's own and keep me from setting up a network. Got it now and can actually see the XP machine. Still working on the MAC, I know I'm getting close as I can see the Vista machine just can't get the MAC to cooperate with printing and such. Probably head space and timing on my part, I'll have to read up on it more.

The Wise Monkey
03-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Glad you got it sorted - it did sound like a router problem because they PCs couldn't ping each other, which you should be able to do no matter what. :)

As for printer sharing, have a look at this link:

http://macs.about.com/od/macwindows/ss/printsharevista.htm

partyman97_3
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey Rick, I don't know if this will help and you may have done this already, but make sure all the computers are in the the same workgroup. I think the default workgroup name in xp is MSHOME and the vista default name is workgroup. I have several xp machines in my house and all was well till I added a vista laptop. After several web searches I finally found a site that told me to verify all the workgroup names were the same. By the way, what kind of tech school did you go to.

RickC
04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Partyman:
Yeah I finally got everything doing it's thing. I actually had everything configured right except the MAC but I also finally figured it out. As for tech school I went to Computer learning Center here in Virginia. It taught me a good bit, enough to work for Banktek for awhile doing repair and service on Dell machines mostly, in fact pretty much self taught in Dell Laptops and they were actually fun to troubleshoot, disassemble, and get working again. Pretty simple to tear those down to the bones. Did alot of display replacements, motherboards etc. I worked on alot of desktops too. It sucked it the long run though as I entered the field during the bubble bust and work was hard to find as I was working as a contract guy for Banktek and they couldn't bring me in permanent. Then went to AOL for a little while when they were laying off big time and I basically took machines off line but before doing so had to transfer programs and files over the network for storage elsewhere. Then the work just dried up, I applied and interviewed many different places but because I was only A+/Net+ certified and new many of the layed off folks were just flat beating me out and in some cases I had engineers with years of experience competing for the entry level jobs I was applying for. Looking doesn't put bread and butter on the table so I ended up going back into construction, whoopee. I basically use what I learned helping relatives and friends now. I guess it is what it is, it's a shame I couldn't move forward in changing careers but I still tinker, hence my most recent build etc.