PDA

View Full Version : I Noticed that CoreTemp says different then my Intel Desktop

TheGeneralLee86
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Utillities and I ran Ortho Beta or whatever it is called. I let it run for about 40 minutes and it showed up with no errors or problems, but for some reason Core Temp says it is 75-76 Celsius and the Intel says 49-50 degrees celsius and I am more likely to believe the intel one because I have not had any hickups or anything while I let run Ortho and I put my hand near the rear fans and it definitely is not very hot just warm air and here is a Screen Pic of it so you can see what I mean:
and also as ssoon as I stop Orhtho it immediately drops to 50 degrees celsius on Core Temp? No Symptoms of overheating either! I think that Core Temp is wrong and I am almost positive because It is set to automatically shutdown or whatever when it overheats.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3320267593_7ffeb425be.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3663/3320267593_a52ab0dbfa_o.jpg) Sorry about Paint Program iot is the only thing I have. LOL

The Wise Monkey
03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Core Temp does seem to have issues occasionally with the dual core CPUs - try Real Temp.

TheGeneralLee86
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Ok I will then and i will post back very soon!

TheGeneralLee86
03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Did the same thing except it was a little cooler it read about 72 degrees celsiu at the max but I only let run for 25 Mins or so before I stopped not as long as the other one which was about 30-40 minutes that I did the other one

RickyTick
03-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Temps are high. If you applied thermal grease on top of the strips that come on the cpu, I guess it could have caused a problem, idk.

I'd be tempted to take the hsf off, clean it with some alcohol, and try again. You can probably do it without removing the motherboard from the case.

TheGeneralLee86
03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Yeah I do know that I let the ortho's run for 45 min on priority 1 or 9 sunday night or so and it came up no errors or problems either.

Edited in: My strips were on the Heatsink which I thought was wierd so I didn't think that is what they were. and Yes I can cause I can just remove the power supply or I can remove the whole back and what the motherboard is screwed to because I have a modular case.

The Wise Monkey
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I would strongly suggest removing the heatsink, cleaning all the thermal grease off the CPU and heatsink and then re-applying it again.

Too much thermal grease prevents the heat from travelling from the CPU into the heatsink, and thus increases temperature.

TheGeneralLee86
03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Thats probably what it is and I didn't follow how the type of grease I have which I think is OCZ Freeze Thermal Extreme is what I used and it has pretty good reviews and they say just to put it on and not to spread it and put the heatsink on without spreading it around. I'll try that then as soon as I go home thursday and remove the Heatsink and reapply the thermal grease and see also if I didn't get the heatsink pushed down enough too! Hopefully this'll solve the core temp temperature reading problems.

The Wise Monkey
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Just looked at the pic you posted more closely - the motherboard temperature is different to the CPU temperature, so this is why there was the disparity in temperature measurements.

Make sure that you clean all the thermal grease off the CPU and heatsink before re-applying any. Let us know how it goes. :)

TheGeneralLee86
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I just ordered DuoOrb CPU Cooler do you think this will help too? I also ordered the HIS Radeon HD 4870 IceQ4+ Turbo Video Card too and hopefully those will both help cool and take stress off of the CPU too!

TheGeneralLee86
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I think I've figured one thing out and that is the max temp for this CPU is 92 degrees celsius cause the last time before what I just did a little while ago was too little and it did reach almost overheating temperature about 12 degrees below and the intel thing came up saying it had reached critical temperature and it is set for 14 degrees below maximum temperature and I think I put on to much this time cause it idles at 32 degrees celsius instead of 28 degrees like it did before! I think the max is a lot higher on core 2 duo's then it is on others. Maybe I am wrong but I think that is why the temps are high with ortho's and they do not go any higher then 76 degrees that I have noticed when I ran it for 45 minutes monday or so. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that they run a little hotter then others.

The Wise Monkey
03-05-2009, 03:45 AM
I thought your CPU was idling at 76C, didn't realise it was under heavy stress.

Even so, 76 is still a bit high, but it is within acceptable limits - like you said, the C2Ds have quite a high max temperature, but ideally you don't want to be anywhere near this limit.

TheGeneralLee86
03-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Yeah kind of what I figured and when I play a low end game like GTA: SA it seems to stay right around 40-48 degrees for maximum and doing just real basic things it is around 27-30 degrees celsius. I also think it is due to my Small Form Factor case too. Probably if I got a fan for the above the PCIe and PCI slots it would help with cooling because in the manual for the case it says you can put one there too.

TheGeneralLee86
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
So do you think I should try reseating the Heatsink again or try attaching the DuOrb CPU Cooler I bought, do you think that'll help or should I even worry about it that much?

Edited in: I also was wondering My stock fan that came with the CPU the RPM's seem to be only 1089rpm's or so and do you think that might be a part of the problem?

The Wise Monkey
03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Try giving the CPU a good clean, and install your new heatsink - you have some experience now, so it should be a bit easier. :)

TheGeneralLee86
03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
ok i will then hopefully it'll fit without having to remove the back fans or moving them to the outside.