PDA

View Full Version : First boot, fand going, leds lit up, nothing else happens.

andrewguy
02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
So here's my build as of right now

Asus m3a32-mvp delux Motherboard
processor, Athlon x2 7750 at 2.7GHz
ram 2gb stick kingston, 667
PSU: Rosewill 650W
videocard: either XFX geforce 8800GT or Radeon HD 2400 Pro

when I fist boot up, the LEDs are on, the fans are spinning, but there are no beeps, and no display on the monitor.

removal of only the RAM results in no change (lights still go on, fans still run, no beeps)

removal and bootup without the videocard results in the leds on, the fans spin for less than one sec them power down. no beeps, no nothing.

Any suggestions/help can be offered?

The Wise Monkey
02-28-2009, 12:39 PM
1. Make sure that all connections from the PSU to the motherboard are secure including the 4-pin one for the CPU
2. Try booting with only one stick of RAM and see if that makes a difference
3. Do you get the same result when booting with both cards? As in, try one then try the other.

andrewguy
02-28-2009, 12:57 PM
All the connections from the PSU to the motherboard are proper, the one for the CPU is 8-pin not 4, so I have an 8-pin on there. I've tried booting up with only one stick of ram and no videocard and all that happens is the fans go on for 1 sec, then stops. nothing else.

With a videocard and 1 stick of ram the fans go, and everything else seems fine, but no signal is getting to the monitor. I've tried either card, and I get the same result.

The Wise Monkey
02-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Do the cards require an extra PCI-E power adapter?

andrewguy
02-28-2009, 03:51 PM
One of the does, one doesn't, the power is, of course, plugged in if it has it.

The Wise Monkey
02-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Hmmm.... sounds like your motherboard might be DOA. It might be a good idea to try and get a replacement from wherever you bought it.

andrewguy
02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, it was taken from a computer that was working (Phenom 9950 i think, quad core), the tossed in my system (Athlon x2 7750), wouldn't post, tried otherthings also, wouldn't work. Tried the phenom in the same system and wouldn't post. then next day we tried it in a different system, and it posted just fine. just wierd.

The Wise Monkey
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
OK, we're ruling out possibilities now at least. :)

So the motherboard works, just not in that situation... It could be shorting out on the case - check that all the spacers between the motherboard and the case are OK, and that it isn't touching the case at all.

Have you tried the 7750 and the motherboard combination in your other system?