PDA

View Full Version : New PC questions!

fng
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
So I just finished building my PC and it works great! I booted it up and everything goesss! I went with the build on the homepage of mysuperpc.com here it is incase you don't remember

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (dual-core)
Ram Crucial 4096MB (4GB) PC8500 DDR2
Video Card eVGA Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3 PCI-E
Hard Drive Western Digital 640GB 7200rpm SATA
Operating System Microsoft Windows vista 64 bit
Monitor Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
DVD RW Samsung 22x DVD RW

I had a few questions though if you guys could help.

1. My processor is a 3.0GHz and my mb is reading it only as like a 2.87 GHz, what's the reason for this? and can i fix this?

2. My onboard sound is great, I go onto youtube a lot and the sound works fine. However I installed a game for my wife called "Titan Quest" and we can't seem to get the sound to work. We are using some ipod headphones right now lol. Could it be issues with the game and the 64 bit vista? I'm at a loss. Edit: ok so we got the sound to work on the game but there is still a noticable ringing through our ipod elite headphones :P. is this just the cheapness of the headphones?

3. This question is prolly really stupid but I must kno =). Is there anyway to make the desktop icons smaller? Vista makes them so huge! No matter how high I have my res. they are not getting any smaller!

Thanks for all the help if possible =).

Best Regards,
Nathan

The Wise Monkey
02-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Firstly, congrats on your new build. :)

Now, questions:

1. Download CPU-Z and see what it says about your CPU - this gives a very accurate reading:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

2. Try updating the sound drivers for your onboard sound, and try using a different pair of headphones to see if its a hardware problem

3. Right click the desktop, go to view and select small, medium or large icons. Alternatively, select the desktop icon by clicking on it once, then hold Control and roll the mouse wheel up or down to change the size.

fng
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
wow fixed fixed and fixed you are the man wise monkey! while i was at it i oced my processor to 3.6g woot!

RickC
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
It might sound silly but your sound problem could be related to Vista. Try running the game in Administrator mode. I was experiencing funky stuff with sound in Ventrillo and that was my problem. To run as Admin right click on the game and select run as admin and just tell windows that you want to allow it in the next popup.

RickC

The Wise Monkey
02-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Glad I could help. :)