PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Where did your site and the forums go?! :confused:

Rob
02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
I got hacked! Yes, indeed, I really did. Fortunately, the hack only deleted the index.* files. While this is a very small percentage of the total number of files, they include some of the most important web pages, such as the home page.

As soon as I noticed, I called iPower technical support. They have seen this type of attack before and have cautioned their user base against it, stating very strong passwords should be used. I guess my password just wasn't strong enough. iPower was able to restore all of the index.* files from backup.

The site was down somewhere between 12 and 36 hours. The forums were completely down. The main site was still accessible starting from a page other than the home page, but the home page itself was inaccessible. Of course, most people would enter at the home page.

Well that was quite an experience! Let that be a lesson to me. Strong passwords!

TheGeneralLee86
02-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Yeah I wondered what in the world had happened because I was typing when it happened and when I hit submit it said that the file you are talking about got deleted and I thought your web host had stopped letting you use them or something.

The Wise Monkey
02-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Woah, I guess you were lucky that they only deleted the index.* files and not everything... :/

Glad everything is back up and running again now though. :)

RickyTick
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I had withdrawals for a day.

Don't let that happen again. :p

Mikeystien
02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I got so bored I actually did some work! Yuck.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that everything got straighted out.