PDA

View Full Version : Trouble recognizing Single Sata Drive

Cosian
05-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I have a Jetway 939 Socket Board with an Nforce4 SLI Chipset. The Pheonix Award Bios is version 6.00PG........the Jetway Board may have been first the mistake :mad: .....

I cannot get bios to recognize the single SATA Drive on Sata Channel 1....The Award BIOS version does not track with your tutorial....

On the Onchip IDE menu I have disabled channel 0 and my CD/DVD shows up correctly on channel 1 Primary

On the Onchip IDE there are no entries for SATA DMA but there are entries for SATA 1&2 and SATA 3&4 which are enabled

There are no SATA entries on the Onchip Device menu....

My understanding to use a single SATA drive I do not have to enable RAID

Any suggestions....before I go back my ASUS boards

Cosian
05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
OK I got it working.......

After the drive was not recognized after repeated tries, I shut the machine down....

I returned to the machine today and fired it up to check something in BIOS and low and behold the drive was recognized. Since I had done repeated cold boots the day before, I was somewhat surprised......but not really.

I surmise that there must have been some bit 'latched' somewhere that was preventing the drive recognition until all resdual energy drained from the boards capacitors. This is not the first time something like this has happened...I recalled my Mom's machine has a similar problem.....cold shut down and would not recognize the drives on reboot until the machine had sat a good long while......she has a cheapo board also in that machine....can't remember what it is.....

Some other notes....

I assume now that my bios....AWARD 6.00PG only needs the setting noted in my post above enabled. The BIOS does not have a seperate setting for SATA DMA...

Also note that once the drive was recognized and I went to install Windows, I F6'd and subsequently installed the two NVIDIA RAID drivers from diskette....however, when Windows went to startup during setup it blue screened with and UNMOUNTABLE VOLUME error.

On my second try I did not F6 and install the RAID drivers from diskette and just let windows setup run......I did have the diskette in the floppy drive and noted that windows setup hit the floppy during setup......not sure if it loaded anything.....anyways it worked and I am formatting.....

So I learned......

The JETWAY board is not something I would buy again

When installing a single SATA on an NFORCE4 board it appears that installing both NVIDIA raid drivers causes an UNMOUNTABLE VOLUME error....since its not a RAID......but I think it needed one of those NVIDIA drivers since the setup hit my floppy and I saw nvraid.sys load.....

Rob
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Nice job. Way to stick with it! Thanks for sharing. This will likely help someone else out.