PDA

View Full Version : HD Upgrade SATA

OldTimer
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Need Help,
I added a HD 640G|WD 7K 16M WD6400AAKS to an existent same one (working Windows XP). I was thinking on going for RAID... but not sure if it is worth the risk.
My MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
No matter what settings I tried in the Advance BIOS or Integrated Peripherals (or combination), the new drive is not recognized. I've given up on the RAID, just want the new SATA drive to be recognized.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
OT

The Wise Monkey
02-11-2009, 02:51 AM
1. Check the cables - might be slightly dodgy connection
2. Reset your BIOS to default settings
3. Update your BIOS

This thread is about someone who had the same problem, but it turned out that their HD was faulty:

http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2311

OldTimer
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Wise,
I tried the cables, resetting the BIOs, and the update... the second HD still is not recognized. The Standard CMOS shows the first HD under Master 0, and Blank under Master 1.
I have already returned one HD to Newegg thinking that it was a DOA.
Any other ideas will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.
OT

The Wise Monkey
02-12-2009, 05:09 AM
What happens if you unplug the first HD and plug the new one into Master 0?

OldTimer
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I can't believe but this is another DOA. Using your idea I switch cables and no go;then I noticed that it wasn't powering up (revs), using the same cables in the old HD it did power up.
Contacted Newegg and it is on its way to being replaced.
Thanks Wise!
OT

The Wise Monkey
02-13-2009, 02:39 AM
It happens if you order from the same batch - sometimes you are just unlucky.

Glad you are getting a replacement - let me know how it goes. :)

OldTimer
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Wise,
Well after two WD 640 DOAs, I gave up and returned it. Since I basically want an storage type of 2nd drive... movies, pics, etc. I purchased a WD10EADS 1 Tera (32 MB Cache) for $20 more. Received it today and it works!

When I tried to installed using Disk Management in Windows XP, it sets it up as a Simple Volume and no Partitions... Is this OK?

Does it need the regular format or the quick is OK?

Thanks!
OT

The Wise Monkey
03-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Cool, good to hear that it works now. Must have just been a bad batch of hard drives.

I would recommend doing a full format, as that will check for bad sectors as well as erasing all data from the drive.

As for partitions, you can divide it up any way you want to. For a storage drive, it isn't really that important as it will not get fragmented as much as the OS drive.

OldTimer
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Formatting is underway... It is going to take a loooong time!
Simple and no partitions.
Thanks again.