PDA

View Full Version : Building a computer

zippy216
01-31-2009, 06:31 AM
I would like to build a new computer. We typically use our computer for email, word processing, etc... (no gaming) but I would like to be able to load applications that will allow me to view videos or hdtv or recorded shows on out Tivo units and also edit and burn these to disc if necessary. I would also like to be able to network this new computer with my old computer ( current computer) in our gameroom as well as our 2 tivo units.

:confused:

I have built computers in the past but would like to build something that will have enough power to do all of the above and not be out of date by the day after I start it up.

I know there are diehard intel and amd supporters but any suggestions as to what type hardware (intel or amd, etc...) as well as amount of ram, graphics card minimum size, etc... I should buy. I plan on building this over time so it is not important to get everything at once. I think if i buy a component or 2 each month, I can get a little better hardware that way.

Also, It seems like we never have enough usb slots so I need a decent usb card with at least 4 (if not more) slots.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Damlite
01-31-2009, 09:19 AM
What's your budget Zip?

Barrister73
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
To be honest, you sound like a used car salesman asking what the budget is. The requirements sounded basic (email, etc.) until the TV recording came up. Even then, I would suspect that Dual Core suffices.

I believe the real question is; What is the least expensive build that will allow recording and playing TV (emails would certainly fall within this build) and still allow foreseeable upgrading for the next five years?

I suspect the answer is "Budget Build" with a few tweaks.

MRR

zippy216
02-02-2009, 07:11 AM
I really have no budget. This does not mean I have unlimited funds though. I am just trying to put together a system that would have enough storage space ( I just checked my computer and I am about 75% expended on a 300gb drive) a fast enough graphics processor and Ram to watch movies and stuff. The last computer I built about 5 years ago, I skimped on some things and now I am paying the price. So If I can start looking for good quality, high efficiency components now, I can pick them up month to mont and assemble them as they arrive. I really have been out of the loop in the last couple years and have no idea what new technology (dual-core vs. quad-core) is available and what is better than the other.

Just looking for a little direction and a push in a direction to get this project off the ground. Sorry if I sounded so vague.

Thanks

chunkylover53
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
First, please read this post http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1437. Most folks here will agree that you should never go piece by piece, because it severely limits your return options.

Second, with the budget build posted here http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1642 , you could drop the video card, add 2GB RAM, upgrade to a 750GB hard drive, and probably stay under $600. That would be fine for watching HD content, but you didn't mention what sort of HD content. Adding a Blu-Ray player would add cost too.

Third, I really can't speak to the Tivo piece. I'm sure there is a card that will allow you to download from the Tivo to the PC, but I haven't had much luck with my cable box. In addition, when you say network, I'm not sure if you mean wired or wireless.

Finally, I recently built a PC that does much of what you are talking about, and it was a fairly expensive operation. Here's the post: http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2296

zippy216
02-19-2009, 06:19 AM
I took your advice and bought all the parts for a new system:

ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard Thermaltake Purepower W0121RU 600W
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor
Rosewill RCX-Z940-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
ATX12V V2.0 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
ASUS EAH4830/HTDP/512MD3 Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-Ray DVD Drive SATA
MASSCOOL 5-Port USB2.0 PCI Card
Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Vista Business 64 bit

I am having a problem at startup. When I power up the system, the system starts to POst and then I get an error message something like this:

*****WARNING SYSTEM BOOT FAILURE***** Your last system boot or POST interrupted. Press F1 to enter setup or press F2 to load default and reboot again. After pressing either, I was able to load Vista with no problem. The problem is that I get this warning everytime I power up the system.

I have looked around on the web but have found no resolution. Any ides?

Thanks

zburns
02-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Zippy: I have Vista 32 bit and about two/three months ago I started to experience exactly the "System Boot Failure" you describe. I never attacked it as a problem to solve; it only happened to me when I left the computer unattended for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To get out of it, I hit delete (as prompted by the Boot Failure page) to get into the BIOS and then went straight to EXIT and out of the BIOS; normal boot from that point on. I did nothing in the BIOS other than get in and get out.

Here is the interesting part. In the last two weeks, my system has not done this even once regardless of how long I leave the system on. However, during this period of time I have had at least three separate Microsoft multiple Updates; so I have assumed that a "fix" came thru the updates.

I have 32 bit Ultimate; you have 64 bit biz; I suggest you try my temp fix where you hit delete to get into BIOS, go straight to EXIT and get out. See if normal boot at that point. At least you will know that your problem directly mimics mine; that being the case, I would contact Microsoft (if that is possible) and try to find out if there has been an "update fix" for this type problem.

The reason I suggest you try my temp fix is that if it works for you, it sort of says that this is a Microsoft problem, not yours. If this works, it is too much of a coincidence for it NOT to be a Microsoft problem!!

Also, I will look at my recent updates and see if there are any descriptions that address what I am saying.

One other point, when I loaded Vista, as I recall there were a lot of updates that occured during the "loading process" (about 80 in my case incl SP1 but this was right when SP1 came out about last March or April 2008). I would think you would have experienced the same prompts to "load updates" when you loaded your OS.

zippy216
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
It was happening to my computer even before I loaded Vista. And it does the same thing entering and exiting setup. However, the last time I turned it on and got to windows, I went to Computer and noticed that my dvd-rw and blu-ray were there, but there was also a floppy disk listed but I do not have a floppy. I did download 3 updates last night and shut down after they loaded. Maybe the downloads fixed it.