PDA

View Full Version : motherboard driver concerns

jharrison52
05-16-2007, 08:54 AM
My 12 year old and I built the "super pc" according to the book after Christmas. We followed the "build 1" except that, on the advice of a friend, we bought a different video card (ATI Radian X1600 Pro). All the boots went ok, but after installation of the video card driver we started having lockups.

Reading through the websites, I realized that I had skipped installing the driver for the motherboard. I went to the MSI website and tried their Live Update. According to that, the current drivers are all present on the machine. But the freeze-ups still occurr after the video card driver is installed.

However, according to the MSI website, these drivers need to be installed before the OS. To use Live Update from MSI, I needed Explorer running, so this was after OS installation.

I uninstalled Windows and the video card driver, and tried to install the motherboard drivers from the floppy disk that came with the motherboard (labeled G72-MNPR009-J10; MCP55 chipset SATA RAid; version: 5.10.2600.065; For Win2k/XP only). But this floppy didn't seem to have any installation software, and I couldn't figure out how to install drivers from this disk.

I reread the MSI manual, and it says that I should have gotten a cd with the drivers along with the motherboard. But I know I didn't get that. I have tried to contact MSI via their website to ask for the cd, but can't get a reply.

So, my first question is: Do you think my problem is with the motherboard drivers having to be installed before Windows XP? If so, how do I do that? I was looking at the MSI website, and I can manually download the drivers, and I guess I could get those onto a floppy or cd. But, will they come with the software necessary to install them? (as an aside, to do that I need to know what socket my AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+ is-call you tell me?)

Or, if the problem isn't the motherboard drivers, do you have another suggestion? Do you think a different video card would solve the problem?

It has now been five months since the first successful boot, and we are getting pretty discouraged.

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Rob
05-17-2007, 08:39 PM
The lock-ups may be due to not having the motherboard chipset drivers installed. The OS - Windows XP, in your case - should be installed first. Then the motherboard chipset drivers should be installed next. A retail box of the motherboard should have included a CD that includes the motherboard chipset drivers. But you should be able to download them as well.

My example step-by-step assembly instructions detail steps for installing the motherboard chipset drivers by downloading them.

jharrison52
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Rob,

I think I already tried this. The first time I had this problem, I went to the MSI website and downloaded the chipdrivers. I also used their utility, which checked my computer and said all the proper chipset drivers were installed.

But somewhere, I'm not sure where now (perhaps the MSI website) I read that the motherboard drivers had to be installed before the operating system. Is that wrong? I hope so, because it is pain to install the motherboard drivers without the cd (which they neglected to include in the box I purchased), and without an operating system.

I am sure that the problem is with the video card, because the computer operates fine (but with poor screen resolution) with the default video driver. After I install the ATI card driver the computer always locks up fairly quickly.

Is it time to get a different video card? (perhaps the one you suggested originally?)

Thanks! Jon

Rob
05-31-2007, 06:25 PM
I've always installed the OS first, followed by other drivers. This seems correct because the OS does a clean install, including formatting the hard drive. I'm not sure how you'd install the motherboard chipset drivers first on a new hard drive.

Yes, it could be the video card. You could try installing different - even older - video card drivers. But there may be some sort of problematical issue with the mix of hardware you have. When this happens, I use a different technology, such as NVIDIA instead of ATI, and go for a more powerful video card so I get a bonus in performance for my trouble.

jharrison52
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes, that is just what I have been thinking, but as this is the first time I've tried this sort of thing I wasn't sure if it was right. Is there a NVIDIA card you would recommend to go with this hardware (all the rest of the hardware is right out of the website-except for a few minor upgrades in models, etc)? My son is into gaming. Thanks!

Rob
06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, for gaming in particular the GeForce 8800 GTS I recommend on my home page would be a good choice.

http://www.mysuperpc.com