PDA

View Full Version : Normal GPU Temperature

abscifi
01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I was wondering what normal temperature ranges were for GPU's loaded and unloaded. I have Geforce 9800 GTX and I just installed an overclocking utility called Dual Core Center I think it was made by MSI(I use it more for just monitor temp's than anything else). Anyway what I was worried about is that when I play crisis without any overclocking this utility warns me that my GPU is at to high of a temperature at 90ishC. I have just installed this utility and was playing the game on the same settings that I always have without any trouble and I thought without any heating problems. So I was wondering if this indeed is to high a temperature and should I install another fan? (I was under the impression that GPU's ran much hotter than CPU's normally which is why I am asking). Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
That is very high - what brand is your card e.g. MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.?

Try using nVidia's ntune to monitor your temps and fan speeds, as this is usually more accurate.

RickyTick
01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
That's a bit on the hot side.

I have used, and really like Rivatuner for overclocking Nvidia cards and contolling fan speeds. Just google Rivatuner. Its 3dguru or something like that.

abscifi
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
the brand is EVGA. Thanks! I'll check out the software recommended. Guess I might need to look into extra cooling for the graphics card. When I was getting 90c it hadn't even been overclocked so that worries me a little bit. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Just out of curiosity what temperatures should I be shooting for for idle and under load?

RickyTick
01-27-2009, 07:36 PM
If its EVGA, then use their program called Precision. It was written by the same guy that created Rivatuner. You can read about it and download here.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=48

If I'm just emailing or websurfing, I set my gpu fan speed to run at 45% and my card will maintain a steady temperature of 45 degrees C. When I game, I turn the fan speed up to 65 or 70% and my temps never go over 50 degrees.

I have an EVGA 8800GT Akimbo, and it is overclocked.

abscifi
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
thanks for all your help guys. I am really digging both those programs you guys recommended.