PDA

View Full Version : no sound on movie dvds

mclean811
01-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Woe is me, i am back again.
I did post my question on the Nvida forum but received no answer.
This forum is very considerate and helpful <big smile>

My husband just built a barebones computer with Nvidia products.

It has a Nvidia Nforce 780i motherboard, Geforce 9600 graphics card and HP DVD player 1070i. (all just for silly little navy games that wouldn't play on a penthium 3) :p

All sounds on the computer, I.E. Windows, internet, dvd games, music videos work perfect, however, no sound on movie dvd's.

The operating system is Win XP Pro

If this is not the right forum for my question, please refer me to the correct one.

Thank you, Moria

The Wise Monkey
01-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Have you downloaded a DVD codec? This allows you to watch (and listen) to DVDs.

I would recommend trying something like VLC player first - it is free and easy to use, plus it plays just about anything:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Try playing a DVD with this and see if you get sound.

mclean811
01-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Hello most honorable computer guru

Your advice was taken and it worked. I wonder why VLC media player made the difference.
I very much appreciate your forum. I am very jittery about this computer because I order the parts threw the mail. As such, I can’t easily return it if it doesn’t work.
The computer was more expensive than I anticipated because I didn’t know much about it but the experience of helping to build it made the experience more than worthwhile.
Now, I just don’t need to download something that would cause a problem.

Thank you for all your help and your wise advice in the past

Moria

The Wise Monkey
01-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Wow, thanks. :D

A COder/DECoder (or codec) is a piece of software that transfers a file from one format to another. The video files on a DVD are not usually playable on a PC, so a codec is needed to convert it into the correct format. VLC has this codec, and many others, built in so can play pretty much anything.

I've always found that building a PC somehow makes it more "yours" than just buying it from a store, hence why I keep doing it. :)