PDA

View Full Version : WD SATA HDD not reconized in bios

moulder
01-23-2009, 06:03 AM
The bios on my m2n-sli deluxe is not reconizing the WD Caviar blue 320 sata hdd I have installed. My current bios settings are - advanced, on board configuration, ide function setup, onchip ide channel0 [disabled] (with this disabled ide dma transfer acces cannot be enabled). serial-ata controller [enabled]. I have tried various cable configurations to no avail. I do have a sata DVD combo that is reconized and a floppy that is also reconized. Am I missing somethig in the bios setup??

moulder
01-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chunkylover53
01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Sorry moulder, but the rest of us don't even look at the posts in Send a Message to Rob. Until Rob gets a chance to respond, you should try resetting the bios to default settings and reboot to BIOS. If that doesn't work, try un-attaching the sata connections for the floppy and the dvd so that only the hard drive is attached, and reboot to bios. If neither works, I'm sure there will be more advice coming soon.

You should also post the rest of your build specs, as it does matter.

zburns
01-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Rob's build instructions for the M2N32-SLI deluxe are posted as a Sticky, 2nd thread in "Build your own PC". I assume you know this already; his BIOS settings are all spelled out, but (also an assumption) I imagine his CD/DVD is and IDE drive, not sata.

Here is a link for the M2N32-SLI Premium mobo (Vista edition) which came out in 2007 and probably similiar to the "deluxe" version which I have, you have (?). Its seven pages long and I was impressed with the info. It has a bunch of BIOS Screenshots (again, I assume the whole BIOS); it is probably helpful. I have not compared it to my BIOS yet, but will at some point. Rob's published settings on the "sticky" could be compared to the premium version and you would get an idea of the similarity.

Here is the link: http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1699_5.html

moulder
01-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Thank you for the come back. After the reset/uninstall other dirve procedure HDD still not reconized. Here us what I have for my new build.
Lian Li PC-7B plus II case with Lian Li A470GB 470W PS.
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2/nForce 570 SLI/DDR2-800 board Retail
AMD Athlon 64X2 6000+ 3.1Ghz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Retail
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 CPU Cooler
Crucial Ballistix 1024MB PC2-8500 DDr2 X 4 RAM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB DDR3 Video Card
ASUS 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe SATA Model DRW-20B1LT
BYTECC 1.44MB Internal Floppy Drive
Western Digital Cavier SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Windows XP Home SP2 Full Retail
Logitech LX310 Cordless Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Again Thanks

The Wise Monkey
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Try these different things:

1. Plug the HD into a different port on the motherboard.
2. Load the BIOS defaults
3. Use a different SATA cable
4. Update your BIOS wit the latest version from the MSI website

zburns
01-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Moulder: I apologize for misreading your mobo part number and confusing it with my mobo, M2N32-SLI. That said, I have spent several hours trying to search out compatibility between your M2n-SLI deluxe, 570 chipset and the AMD 6000 processor, 89 watt, 65 nanometer CPU and found nothing but confusion. There are two or three versions of the AMD 6000.

If you do not solve your problem with suggestions already made, perhaps you should call Asus tech support, USA, and double check compatability of your mobo, 570 chipset, and the amd 6000, 89 watt, 65 nmeter processor. Also confirm that your mobo with its 570 chipset is still an active Asus model.

One would think that all versions of the AMD 6000 would be compatible across the board, but you cannot just assume it, you need to see specific compatibility in writing. For example, the AMD compatability check on their website did not say "all 6000s" interchangable. It did say Asus M2N-SLI compatible with the Athlon X2 6000 but did not specify all or which versions.

Wise Monkey's suggestions are important, particularly about getting the latest BIOS version.

moulder
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
zburns, thank you and thank all for your support
I have been to the ASUS support site and under the m2n-sli deluxe related link, cpu support the AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (DO),1MB,RevG2 89W is listed. I did update the Bios. And try different cable arrangements to no avail. I do not know if this board is still active with ASUS but I do know it took some effort to find a new retail package. I finally decided enough and went to a Fry's store and purchased WD 500G. Set it in and everything is working great.
The WD 350 was defective out of the box and will be shipped back to NewEgg. Again THANKS to all.

zburns
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Moulder: Sure glad everything fell into place. I went back to Asus to clear up my confusion; confirmed what you said. Interestingly, the 125 watt 6000 cpu is not listed for your mobo. Your 89 watt version far better.

The M2N-SLI mobo now comes with the 560 nforce (Invidia) chipset instead of the 570 chipset which is on your board. The 560 has less technical features than does your version 570 so it looks to me like it was a "lowering the cost" situation; if your board is no longer active that may be the only difference.

Here is the Invidia link that compares all the Nvidia chipsets for AMD CPUs:
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce5_specs_amd.html. Good luck with the new build.