PDA

View Full Version : Help! All-in-one Card Reader 'disabling' itself!

CrazyMike
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Greetings all - I've got one last tweaky thing I need fixed on my recently built computer.

My MB is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 and I'm running XP and Ubuntu as a dual boot system. This problem exists on both operating systems, so it seems to be more of a MB issue perhaps.

I've got a SIIG internal "all in one" card reader installed in my box. It is connected to the MB via a normal 4-prong USB connector. I chose this one because of its SDHC capabilities on SD cards. You can read up on it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820270005

It works fine generally. However, about 1 in 3 times when I remove a card (in XP or Ubuntu) it seems to disable the USB port on the MB. When I reinsert the same or a different card (or different card type), the light never comes on, the card is not seen on the computer and the drive acts pretty much dead.

The only way I've found to fix the problem (which I think is a bit risky due to static discharge risk) is to open the box, grab the usb plug, then remove and replace it. Right away the drive wakes up, the card is recognized and the drive acts 'normally' again - at least for a little while.

There have been a couple of times where Windows gives the message about the usb device working better if plugged into a usb 2.0 port but a reboot usually gets it working correct if that happens.

Any ideas or is this $30 POS from SIIG simply incompatable with the MB?

Thanks!

Mike

The Wise Monkey
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't usually read too much into user reviews, but if the product has only one review and it received 1 star...

Did it come with any drivers?

zburns
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
My printer is HP 1100 with mobo (about) 24 pin connector. Not usable on new build. Found a USB adapter cable to the 24 pin connector, with embedded software from a Chinese mfg.. It does not have a Windows or Microsoft "Signature".

It works for my printer but it sort of sets its own rules. Sometimes it is my HP Printer #1, or it is HP Printer #2; I have to manipulate within the printer dialogue box to get it to print. I have not given this a lot of attention cause I don't print that much anymore.

One thing you might try is see if Sewell Direct happens to sell your device; they do seem to have some smart folks in Tech Support and they are helpful. They are in Utah, just Google them.

Also suggest you try the USB 2.0 port on the back of your box. If USB 2.0 works or is "better in some way", snake a cable out of the cabinet at the rear and plug it in permanant. As you use the device, look for a specific "pattern" that keeps the reader consistent in the way it operates.

When you installed it, if Windows recognized the device, a prompt would have told you so; by the same token, if not recognized, Windows would say "Whats this?" Do you trust it or not. If it is not been looked at by Microsoft, you may be stuck with the prob. Like I say look for a "working pattern".

By going out the back of the case from inside to the USB 2.0 port, you eliminate "the unpluging problem".

CrazyMike
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't usually read too much into user reviews, but if the product has only one review and it received 1 star...

Did it come with any drivers?

I bought it before that review came out, but many similar products by SIIG had decent reviews...

It comes with no drivers and SIIG states that the only drivers needed are supplied in Windows XP SP1. I still don't think it is a driver issue since once it is dead, it doesn't even light up in the PRE-OS states when the computer turns on. Only by unplugging/replugging it while the machine is on is the issue resolved, at least temporarily...

CrazyMike
01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
My printer is HP 1100 with mobo (about) 24 pin connector. Not usable on new build. Found a USB adapter cable to the 24 pin connector, with embedded software from a Chinese mfg.. It does not have a Windows or Microsoft "Signature".

It works for my printer but it sort of sets its own rules. Sometimes it is my HP Printer #1, or it is HP Printer #2; I have to manipulate within the printer dialogue box to get it to print. I have not given this a lot of attention cause I don't print that much anymore.

One thing you might try is see if Sewell Direct happens to sell your device; they do seem to have some smart folks in Tech Support and they are helpful. They are in Utah, just Google them.

Also suggest you try the USB 2.0 port on the back of your box. If USB 2.0 works or is "better in some way", snake a cable out of the cabinet at the rear and plug it in permanant. As you use the device, look for a specific "pattern" that keeps the reader consistent in the way it operates.

When you installed it, if Windows recognized the device, a prompt would have told you so; by the same token, if not recognized, Windows would say "Whats this?" Do you trust it or not. If it is not been looked at by Microsoft, you may be stuck with the prob. Like I say look for a "working pattern".

By going out the back of the case from inside to the USB 2.0 port, you eliminate "the unpluging problem".

Good idea of routing to an external usb connection. I suspect the issue will still be there. Ugh, I might as well buy a different one. I've spent far too many hours troubleshooting this thing. Another $10-30 wouldn't kill me I suppose. I use the reader daily as I download photos from CF cards as a part of my business.

Or, I guess I could rob the Mitsumu out of my old PC. It is basically the same thing but also has a floppy drive... I still intend to use that computer elsewhere though...