PDA

View Full Version : Which CPU Cooler for the Budget Build?

Tapp
01-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and to computer building. I'd like to say thanks for all of the great info and sharing!

I am planning to buy/build the budget PC for my son. I have read many reviews of the Athlon 64 7750 on Newegg and many say that this CPU needs an aftermarket cooler; ie the supplied cooler is "junk". Which cooler do you guys recommend that will fit the 7750 and the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard. I've read that some of these coolers block memory slots, etc.

I'm also planning to upgrade the recommended Sapphire card to the HIS 4850. Would this be a noticeable improvement with "basic" games?

thanks!!

Tapp

Tapp
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Zalman 9500 for the AM2 board. Since this is what is recommended for the SuperPC build on the Intel/gigabyte combo, I'm hoping this will work for the AMD/gigabyte budget system.

I'll let you guys know since it seems no one has experience with this cooler and the budget build.

Tapp

chunkylover53
01-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Sorry Tapp, I must have missed your post. That's a great cooler, and it will fit in the Antec Sonata case. I know it will work fine with the AMD processor, but I'm not 100% positive on the board.

Keep in mind that the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H is a micro-ATX board, so it's a bit smaller than the full ATX board Rob uses. I happen to have a Zalman fan in front of me, and just eyeballing it I don't think it will block the memory slots on the board. When you get it, line it up where it's going to sit before you take off the "clip" that covers your processor socket and see if the slots will be clear. I think it will be close but OK.

Just prepare yourself. It's BIG. Might look a little daunting sitting on top of the smaller board! :p

Tapp
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Cool, thanks so much!

Tapp

Tapp
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I finished the budget build this past weekend and it came out really nice!! The Zalman fan fits well with the Gigabyte board if you orient the fan blades toward the back of the case. You have to fiddle with the fan's mounting bracket a little to make it fit inbetween the heatsink "piping" but it will work.

Thanks for the budget suggestion, it's a nice one for sure!

Tapp

DrivetheGreen66
01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
oh well if you have already mounted it, then this post is not important. I use this processor with the supplied CPU cooler and it does fine, running about 32 degrees on full load, but I don't play games so I don't know how it will do on games.