PDA

View Full Version : 4870 x2 vs 280gtx

IceHot
01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I realize the 4870 x2 is the best card on the market according to a ton of benchmark studies. However, the 280gtx will still run any game or piece of software on the market at 1900 x 1200 resolution without a glitch, assuming you have a good build from what I can gather. Also the 280gtx is onsale for over a 100 dollars after rebate at newegg. Every brand and model of it is onsale. So my question is, is the extra $200 really worth that extra performance? As I dont think a single piece of software requires that much raw power. As almost everyone says as well, please dont use future proofing as a reason cause thats not really possible and I feel as though when the 280gtx starts to fade out the 4870 x2 wont be too far behind it. Just a thought and opinion. This is my first build ever as I have noticed alot of people take sides on either nvidia and ati. I am not taking sides on either as I dont really know the history behind them. I was just wondering if the extra cash is really worth that extra performance. Hope to here opinions and reasons. Thanks guys!

Also the 280gtx is onsale for over a 100 dollars after rebate at newegg <----I meant to say over a 100 dollars off. Sorry!

The Wise Monkey
01-08-2009, 03:32 AM
That's an excellent deal on the GTX280 - definitely worth going for that over the 4870X2 at that price range.